Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Speeding up Vanilla

edited June 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Vanilla is pretty darn fast, but what I've found is slow is the many HTTP requests that pile up when you have a lot of extensions. I added this to my .htaccess at the root of my forum and got a huge boost: ExpiresDefault "now" ExpiresActive On ExpiresByType image/gif A864000 ExpiresByType image/jpeg A864000 ExpiresByType text/css A864000 ExpiresByType text/javascript A864000 ExpiresByType application/x-javascript A864000 You'll want to make sure that you're forum is pretty stable and you don't plan on making changes to the design or javascripts, because your users will load them once and won't even check them again until a day has passed. -Geoff

Comments

• Options
    I added this and it appeared to speed up my forum but after about half an hour the pages just wouldn't load. Any tips?
  • Options
    This is the error I get:

500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or
    misconfiguration and was unable to complete
    your request.

Please contact the server administrator,
    support@supportwebsite.com and inform them of the time the error occurred,
    and anything you might have done that may have
    caused the error.

More information about this error may be available
    in the server error log.

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.glasgowfgss.com Port 80
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Your server doesn't not support mod_expires.
    To avoid this kind of error, the rules should be only applied if the module is installed
    <IfModule expires_module> ExpiresDefault "now" ExpiresActive On ExpiresByType image/gif A864000 ExpiresByType image/jpeg A864000 ExpiresByType text/css A864000 ExpiresByType text/javascript A864000 ExpiresByType application/x-javascript A864000 </IfModule>
This discussion has been closed.