Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Manipulating the Vanilla Layout?

Hello all...how do I go about manipulating the layout for my Vanilla forum? Is there something I may be missing? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    how do you mean manipulating? if you mean the placement of the side bar/ panel, the tabs, titles etc. , then this is 'currently' done through css. I think Mark has made some sort of templating system for the next release though, which will make theming much simpler. Let me know if this is what you mean, or if I can be of any further assistance.
  • Options
    Hey Nathan...that is exactly what I was thinking. I want to be able to use my own logo and change some of the colors. I can do it through CSS just wondering if there was a specific file or template to manipulate. Vanilla is an intruiging forum system and I'm very interested in using it for several projects. Just out of curiosity, can you direct me to one of your Vanilla based sites or ones that you like?
  • Options
    well... my installation is a closed forum, so I can't actully show you my design. If you want to see a few of the available designs, go to the account tab and click on 'change stylesheet' in the left panel. You will then see a few of the contributed designs. I persoanally like 'camp' by Stuart (36-degrees). If I find any more, I will let you know.
  • Options
    As a pointer, if you look on the documentation here: http://lussumo.com/docs/doku.php?id=vanilla:styles There is another list. There is also basic code to make a 'template' and advice on how to start work on your new style. Be sure to upload it when you're done!
  • Options
    BenBen
    edited September 2005
    what does your design look like then nathan? can we have a screenshot?
  • Options
    " I persoanally like 'camp' by Stuart (36-degrees). If I find any more, I will let you know." Ta very muchly
  • Options
    i asked the same question sometime back, and i got the css answer. i think simon is speaking of getting in and hacking vanilla's layout to something other than what is provided. that is something we are going to have to wait on for help.
  • Options
    @ben: what does your design look like then nathan? can we have a screenshot? Uuuummmm..... I will post one later today. Sorry. I am at work atm.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Yes, editing the xhtml will be available in the next rev in themes.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    /me cheers
  • Options
    /me cheers (louder) *challenges lech to cheering competition*
  • Options
    /me starts "the slow clap"
  • Options
    /me boogies
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    lol
  • Options
    edited September 2005
    alright. this got strange. lol lmao @ slow clap. Don't know why.... but thanks nifkin.
  • Options
    /me stops working on his site stylesheet because of the pending templating system
  • Options
    ahh a templating system is very exciting!
  • Options
    sauceruney, mark has given no indication as to when it will be released. it could be tomorrow (unlikely), or it could be next month. A templating system is going to be introduced, but nothing will ever replace a good style sheet. You won't have to worry so much with item positioning, but you still need everything else styled. I am not sure, but I would continue with the CSS if I was in your position.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I'm really looking forward to seeing what people do with the themes (aka templates). I know that a lot of my css-zealot friends weren't completely happy with my xhtml, so I'm hoping they tear it apart and make something a little more ... css-friendly. If they do, I might end up replacing the default theme (as long as I can make it look similar to this one w/ css).
  • Options
    right on mark - can't wait.
This discussion has been closed.