Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How to add "User Autobiographies" to account pages???

edited September 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
In my old phpBB forum I had hacked in a way for my users to enter a multi-line "bio" (i.e., an "About Me") into their user profiles. Now that I'm moving to Vanilla (so glad to be doing so, finally!) I am trying to figure out a (not-too-hacky) way to do this.

I want to have (find/build/help with) an add-on to do this, but I haven't done much Vanilla hacking so I don't even know where to start.

What would be needed, in my estimation:
  • The bio to be shown on the user's profile page (say, above "Role History")
  • A field in the database to hold the bio (I assume, but maybe I'm wrong...)
  • A multi-line editbox on the user's account profile form where they can edit their bio
  • Ideally, the same multi-line editbox on the registration page, with the ability to make it a required field (perhaps just a quick mod of this add-on)
Is there anyone out there who can help me? I'm an experienced programmer but I have a hard time wrapping my head around Vanilla (admittedly, it's not like I've had the time to devote to trying too hard).

I am grateful for any help you can give me!

Thanks,
Luke

This discussion ("Profile Page", #2240) seemed to be kind of on the right track...although I don't want profile page customization in terms of stylesheets or anything. Just a bio. HTML or BBCode support is fine, but by no means necessary.

And yes, I know about custom Name/Value pairs—it's not enough because I need something that's already "set up" as a multi-line field and is consistently named and displayed on profiles. But it might be a start.
This discussion has been closed.