Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Adding "Join" text to sign-in text shown in header of main pages

edited October 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
when people get into the default forum page, the text 'Not signed in (Sign In) appears in the top right corner. Is there a way of also including a link for (Join)? i.e. 'Not signed in (Sign In) or (Join). Instead of guests having to click (Sign In), to be re-directed to the sign in page where Join is then an option? Any help is greatly appreciated! Wig

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2008
    Sorry, in looking this over I realized that this might not be specific enough. If I promote the site and get a visitor, I'm allowing guests to view the site, read posts, etc... but not allowing posting. I want visitors/guests to look around and then have a (Join) link available along side the (Sign In) link without them having to jump to the conclusion that by clicking (Sign In) there will be an option to (Join) on the page they are brought to. Again, thanks in advance for any advice on this. Wig
  • Options
    Check out Organic theme.
  • Options
    1. Open Vanilla/themes/menu.php
    2. Find the following lines:
      echo $this->Context->GetDefinition('NotSignedIn') . ' (<a href="' . FormatStringForDisplay(AppendUrlParameters( $this->Context->Configuration['SIGNIN_URL'], 'ReturnUrl='. urlencode(GetRequestUri(0)))) . '">'.$this->Context->GetDefinition('SignIn').'</a>)';
    3. Replace with the following:
      echo $this->Context->GetDefinition('NotSignedIn') . ' (<a href="' . FormatStringForDisplay(AppendUrlParameters( $this->Context->Configuration['SIGNIN_URL'], 'ReturnUrl='. urlencode(GetRequestUri(0)))) . '">'.$this->Context->GetDefinition('SignIn').'</a>)' . ' or (<a href="' . FormatStringForDisplay(AppendUrlParameters( $this->Context->Configuration['SIGNIN_URL'], 'PostBackAction=ApplyForm')) . '">'.$this->Context->GetDefinition('ApplyForMembership').'</a>)';
    That should do it.
  • Options
    Thank you sjeeps and squirrel. That worked out perfectly. Thanks for the solution squirrel. Any chance either of you (or anyone else) could tell me what id= attribute defines the text style and color for the text there?
  • Options
    RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    Another option is to use the GuestSignIn extension which places all the login/sign up fields in the left panel, try it out.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. I saw that, but I'm trying to keep that area of the page free for something else. Appreciate the reply.
  • Options
    Any chance anyone can tell me which file contains the actual text 'Apply for Membership'? I'd like to change it to something shorter in characters so it doesn't lay over a logo I have in the header? Not sure if anyone can help on my earlier question about what tag in css defines the text color for the sign in in the top right?
  • Options
    I changed the color still looking to find out where the actual label is for "apply for membership". Windows explorer doesn't do a search for 'contains' in a php file on my machine for some reason?
  • Options
    In languages/English/definitions.php find this line:
    $Context->Dictionary['ApplyForMembership'] = 'Apply for membership';
This discussion has been closed.