Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Is it possible to have threaded discussion comments in vanilla?

edited December 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
A request from a client to see if poss to have threaded discussion comments?

Comments

• Options
    judgejjudgej
    edited November 2008
    This is a very important feature IMO. It is not just about how the threaded view will appear, it is about being able to store a basic structure in the database. I would really like to see this feature too. -- Jason
  • Options
    I thought each discussion topic was a thread?

Or are you wanting a more traditional view of it?

Posted: Monday, 24 November 2008 at 8:15PM

• Options
    judgejjudgej
    edited November 2008
    I mean being able to organise topic comments into an hierarchy, so each subsequent comment is a reply to a specific comment or to the main topic post, in other words, support multiple trees of comments hanging off each object. The traditional 'threaded' display mode that phpBB, Threads and the like provide, does leave a lot to be desired, but provided the underlying database can support it, there are some pretty good ways to render and use an hierchy. The original poster was - presumably - refering to the mode that other forums describe as 'threaded'. To me, it is much more general than that, and I am more concerned with the organisation and relationship between comments. -- Jason
  • Options
    Nah, that's why I ditched phpBB and saw the Vanilla light!

Simple, easy, no complications.

Posted: Thursday, 27 November 2008 at 6:50PM

• Options
    If you use a quote extension you can have the best of both worlds I think
  • Options
    I guess we have different uses in mind. The point is, Vanilla does not support hierarchical relationships between posts in the core, and that is a shame, because it makes the core much less flexible. They can be added as a plugin, but I suspect it would require an aweful lot of event hooks to ensure the linear comment lists and the associated tree structure tables are kept in sync.
This discussion has been closed.