Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Resource requirement and tips for community of 11k users?!?

TomTesterTomTester New
edited February 2009 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
L.S.

Plan to launch my vanilla-based community site by the end of this month.

The site is supposed to replace an existing community consisting of roughly 11,000 members. Previously only a fraction of those people were active on the forums, but since the new site will be completely based on Vanilla, it seems to make sense to import all 11k users into Vanilla and set a temporary password for them, followed by a mailing to all members telling them how to retrieve their password.

Questions:
- What's the community opinion on pre-creating 11k accounts in vanilla (speed-impact)?
- Does anyone have input on resource requirements on a community this size?
Right now I'm thinking I'm good with a Mosso Cloud hosting account, but I might be gravely mistaken.
- Anyone around with a rather large community site that can give me some tips (spode?)
- Any extensions in particular that I should avoid due to possible impact on performance?
- I'd love to hear about best practices in backing up the site/database (Zip2Mail does not work)

I know this forum is full of questions (and answers), but as I've noticed old threads often refer to
issues that no longer exist or solutions that are no longer relevant. I promise to summarize my
findings and any quality tips I receive in this thread or a new on optimization.

TT

PS Remarks:
- I have installed/activated MOD_GZip to speed delivery (big difference on large pages I've noticed)

- I have not yet tested the vanilla lite extension as I have my qualms about the fact that it seems to
require more changes to existing extensions (which is why, at one point, I was more in favor of
a simple solution such as my abandoned VZippy add-on)

- One idea I have to speed up delivery and deal with more people was to use Google-hosted versions
of various JS libraries ( see http://code.google.com/apis/ajaxlibs/documentation/ )

Comments

• Options
    Delicious Support Forum has over 33k users in the database and their running pretty fast, but they only have about 1500 discussions.

A number of factors come in to play for high traffic servers. Jeff Atwood would tell you to throw more money at it but I believe otherwise. You're taking plenty of measures to ensure your server is optimized and running smoothly. Only after you've done that and find you're still running too slow for comfort should you invest in better servers.