Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Joomla bridge to Vanilla or not bother

edited March 2009 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Wondering what are the main reasons to bother with the Joomla bridge for my Joomla site rather than just adding on a Vanilla forum with no integration. My site has is for an attorney, it has the usual 'my services' pages and a blog and the forum will be for general discussion on immigration. But I don't envisage a huge convenience factor from a forum poster also wanting to post on the blog. The joomla forum modules seem clunky and the existing Joomla bridge seems problematic. Just wondering if its worth the effort. Cheers - JoC

Comments

• Options
    Eh, I think if you want an opensource Joomla integrated solution that is working you need to use: http://www.kunena.com/.
  • Options
    johoneyJust wondering if its worth the effort.
    Not. Why would you want to bridge the two, for what reason? By all means link the pages.

Joomla has convoluted xml based installation, in contrast vanilla is a doddle.

Joolma adds very little, it is over rated. I had a client who wanted me to fix and extend an existing plugin for his Joolma app. Seriously you will be surprised how often developer have to resort to hacking the application rather than what's possible through their docs.

What is going to be the most active part of the site blog/forum/my services? There is good software out there for for each. Mephisto/Typo would work well for blog with RoR. vanilla is great for a forum. You might try a wiki style for the information, or various CMS.

I seriously advise you against one size fits all. You are better of with software that does what it does very well, rather that something that claims to do everything, which is in fact mediocre.

Save yourself much hair pulling.

grep is your friend.