Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Points system?

edited March 2009 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hey all.
I'm in the process of developing an online community game (don't want to call it an MMO since it's pretty much browserbased) and i was thinking a great way of extending it further into the community was to allow players to generate currency for their character by posting in the community forums. Certain categories (like the "Topic of the Week" category, or the "Serious Business!" category, but not the "Off topic" category) would award the user X# of points per post (as long as it meets certain criteria, like, must be more than 40 characters).

There was a mod for this years ago for PHPbb2 called "Cash Mod", but I don't want to use PHPBB2. that would be half-retarded.

Before I go creating an extension for Vanilla, I wanted to know if there's anything remotely like this already, to use as a starting point so i don't go reinventing the wheel. I did a few quick searches but didn't turn anything up.

It would be relatively simple in theory.
on post, check the category, if it's valid:
check the length of the post, if it's:
check how many points to award for that category/post length,
Add that to the users "bank" in the database.

Seems simple enough, but I've never written a vanilla extension. Am I somewhat close? I'm right in assuming that extensions do NOT modify any core vanilla code, correct?

Comments

• Options
    SS ✭✭
    edited March 2009
    I did a few quick searches but didn't turn anything up
    Did you tried Community Moderation? This is not like Cash Mod, but it has points system.
  • Options
    It's not exactly what i'm looking for... CM grants users 'points' in a vauge sense, but it's more designed around other forum members 'voting' on threads. I guess I could possibly modify this heavily if this is the only option.