Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Jump in now or wait for Vanilla 2?

edited August 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I'm planning on creating a new community/fansite and I've decide to use Vanilla, but my only dilemma is should I jump in now and use the current 1.1.8 version or wait for Vanilla 2 and the Garden framework?

I guess my main concern would be if I started my site now using the current 1.1.8 version and installed some addon's and plugins, as well as modified/created a theme. How easy would it be to upgrade to the new Vanilla 2/Garden framework? I guess it comes down to whether or not the addon's I'll be using are compatible or not. If not, how would this impact my site, if say I was using the blog addon and it wasn't compatible with V2? Would I simply loose all of my blog posts until that particular mod become available again? or would I have to start from scratch once that addon was compatible?

Also does 1.1.8 and V2 share the same database and tables or are they totally separate?

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    V1 and 2 can sit in the same database, but they have completely separate tables. Our goal is to make upgrading easy, but the issues you mentioned will most likely exist when you make the move to V2.

If you are a developer, you can make the plugins you need for V2 - we've already contacted a bunch of the V1 plugin authors to port the over to V2.