Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Themes / DRY?

2»

Comments

• Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    That plugin needs some work, too, btw.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I think I have everything from a default Vanilla2 install ported over to a theme that works like this.. I could have left some things out, as I kind of quickly did it, but everything that I can see at the moment is done.

From this point, I plan on creating a "reset" theme with this same idea, which will pretty much be barebones, and clean up a lot of the default css to my own (strict) preferences.

@Mark -- Would you like me to somehow send what I've come up with over? It's not much, just a few alterations to a few appcontrollers, and then just copying / cutting css to work this way.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    @XBleed - A couple of things:

1. Before I can take any work from you and merge it into the core, you'd have to sign the contributors agreement: http://vanillaforums.org/contributors

2. Are you using GitHub to create your own branch and make changes? It makes merging much easier as you can just send me a pull request and git handles merging your changes into my dev branch.
  • Options
    @Mark

1. Done and done.

2. I had no idea you could do this? The way I have done it is by modifying a couple of core appcontroller files, and creating my own theme. If I had my own branch, I assume I would just alter the core theme instead? Then any approved changes would be added to the garden project? Forgive my ignorance, but do I just create my own "fork" of Garden to do this?

Thanks!
  • Options
    *bump* Anything still happening on this?

I've been looking at the source code and file structure, along with the Theming Quick-Start documentation and noticed all I really need is one or more master css files that every application will inherit from.

Basically what I think should happen:

1 - Application loads master css files

2 - Application appends master css with application-specific css files

3 - Application overwrites or appends with theme css files

@XBleed - How does your changes work? If you're still around.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    @XBleed - yes, exactly :)

@Mike.XIII - I got XBleed's stuff, and I started working on merging it, and then I started traveling for Vanilla and I haven't had any time to work on the finalization. I'm back from all my traveling (finally), and looking forward to getting everything merged and released.