Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

RSS XML Feeds

edited March 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Are there RSS/XML feeds generated for discussions and categories for Vanilla 2?

Comments

• Thanks - how about for announcements?
  • is this a core feature or plugin? i would love to have this on my site
  • Bump - $30 bounty for an Announcements RSS feed. Anyone know how to accomplish this?
  • Make it $50.
  • edited April 2010
    Would an rss feed of a specific category suffice? As with that just post the announcements in say an announcements category and then you can get the rss feed at www.domain.com/rss/categories/announcement
  • That would kill two birds with one stone :)
  • Aye, and if you still want to give me $50 you are very welcome :) If not i could probably still make you a plugin.
  • Yes - the category solution would work, except we're wanting to have these posts show up as their own distinct section on the homepage (above other posts as announcements behave).

So, if there's a way to accomplish that I'm all ears.
  • @coolgates Just put them in an announcement category and announce them aswell?
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    That's a cool feature (RSS of basically anything).

As for getting an RSS feed of the Announcements only, that is quite simple to do with a plugin.

1) Add a method _create hook to the Discussions controller. Call it Announcements.
    2) In this method, simulate the Index() method in general, but make sure the query selects only Announcements
    3) Access your shiny new RSS feed via: http://www.yourforum.com/rss/discussions/announcements

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• @garymardell I think because when you announce a discussion, it actually is removed from the category (and won't show up in the RSS).

@Tim I'm a PHP newb - could you code this plugin up for $50?
  • edited April 2010
    Ill code something for you now. Unless Tim beats me, ill try it another way to avoid stealing Tim's ideas for $50 unless he gives me permission too.
    I gave it a shot and here is the result... http://www.vanillaforums.org/addon/553/announcementsrss

I haven't done much testing as this was done while I was sitting at my kitchen table :p Let me know if anything is broken (which is very possible as I built this against my current working copy of Vanilla2 RC).

Good luck ;)

• edited April 2010
    @Tim - thanks for taking a stab at this.

I installed the plugin and am getting this error:
    Fatal error: Class 'Gdn_Plugin' not found in /Garden/plugins/AnnouncementRss/class.announcementrss.plugin.php on line 26

I upgraded to the latest version of Vanilla on Git, but am still getting that error. Any ideas? Thanks!

Drew
    @coolgates - sorry, I know what the problem is.

We added something to the plugin framework which isn't live yet. I've updated the addon now and it should be compatible with the older style. Let me know.

• edited April 2010
    @Tim I was able to activate the plugin - now getting this error:

Fatal error: Class 'DiscussionModel' not found in /Garden/plugins/AnnouncementRss/class.announcementrss.plugin.php on line 37
    I'll look into this asap.

• @Tim Thanks!
  • Any luck?