Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

A fatal, non-recoverable error has occurred

edited January 2009 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Technical information (for support personel): Error Message An error occurred while sending the email. Affected Elements Email.Send(); The error occurred on or near: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. Please use the date.timezone setting, the TZ environment variable or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead any ideas? i'm new to this and just expamenting Technical information (for support personel): Error Message An error occurred while sending the email. Affected Elements Email.Send(); The error occurred on or near: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. Please use the date.timezone setting, the TZ environment variable or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead I'm new to this and just experimenting. I'm using: mysql 5.0 apache2 ubuntu 8.10 I have no ideas. found something saying to adjust the date in mysql but was unsuccessful with doing so. still learning a lot about being linux systems admen and web admen, but the day we stop learning is the day we die.

Comments

• I am experiencing the same problem as you. I don't know why or after doing what. Seems out of the blue.
  • lucluc ✭✭
    I'd guess that Php was upgraded to 5.3
    No timezone configured in php, hence this "errors".
    Configure correctly the date.timezone setting as stated (in your php.ini file).
  • luc, I had been using the hosting provider's default php file. In order to actually edit a php.ini file I had to choose the option of having all php things pass through my custom php.ini in my root web folder. After editing with the aforementioned parameter and using the new php.ini I am now getting a global mysql connection error that's overriding the conf/database.php parameters. I wish there was a way I could copy the default php.ini and just add the date.timezone parameter. Any ideas?
  • lucluc ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Maybe you could just go back to use the hosting provider default and ask them to add the relevant parameter.

In the meantime (before they add it), you could use something like that:
    // Make sure a default time zone is set
    if (ini_get('date.timezone') == '')
    date_default_timezone_set('Canada/Saskatchewan');
    That's what's used in the bootstrap file in garden.
    Obviously, you will put your own timezone.
  • Ok. In which php document should I put it so it's used throughout?
  • lucluc ✭✭
    I've no idea for vanilla1, sorry.
  • Thanks anyways for your help. :)
  • luc, in your opinion, how stable is vanilla2? I'm seriously reconsidering upgrading 1.1.10 to garden/v2.
  • lucluc ✭✭
    That's stable enough.
    The main issue is that many of the extensions you're using don't exist.

I've got v2 on several test web site, but the one where v1 is installed will not migrate until most of the features I use will be in v2, either native or via addon.