Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Promo Code for New Member to be in Specific Role

edited May 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hello,

I don't quite know if the title makes sense but I am wondering if the following is possible...

Is there a way to add a "Promo Code" type box on the signup page so when a new user signs up using that promo code they will automatically be placed in a specific role?

For example, if I wanted to have specific VIP forums that only users could participate in that sign up with the "VIP Code" when they input the code on the sign up page they would automatically be placed in the VIP role. And people that sign up not knowing that code would be put in the normal Member role.

I know I can set roles with access to specific forums and I can set someone's role once they apply on an individual basis but I was hoping there might be a way around that process through an input on the sign up page.

Hopefully I am making sense. Thanks in advance for any help you provide.

Josh

Comments

• I like this idea - it's plugin territory, and I don't know of this functionality already existing. Care to take a crack at creating it?
  • I wish I could but that it outside of my realm of coding knowledge.