Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.0 RC2

MarkMark Vanilla Staff
edited June 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I am pleased to announce the Vanilla 2.0 Release Candidate 2.

About This Release

This version of the code has many minor fixes & improvements from the RC1 release.

Obligatory Warning: Do not use on production systems.

Requirements

• PHP version 5.2.0 or newer
  • MySQL version 5 or newer
  • Apache version 2 or newer

Installing

1. Unzip the package to the desired folder on your server.
  2. Create a database for Vanilla (named whatever you like).
  3. Browse to the folder in your web browser, and follow the instructions on-screen.

Troubleshooting the Vanilla 2 Installation

If you run into any issues during the installation, you may see the "Bonk" error screen. In order to get past this screen, you can remove the following line from your conf/config.php file:

$Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView'] = 'error.master.php';

This will show you a more detailed screen of information about the actual problem you've encountered. Please include this information when reporting issues (copy & paste exact errors, please).

Upgrading RC1 Vanilla 2 Forums

1. Sign into your existing forum with the user that has UserID = 1
  2. Back up your database.
  3. Back up all of your existing files.
  4. Unarchive the new files and copy them over your existing files. Make sure that your hidden files (ie .htaccess) are copied to your server.
  5. Navigate to the page in your forum that updates your database (this will not work if you did not sign in as UserID = 1): www.yourdomain.com/path/to/vanilla/utility/structure
  6. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the button to run the update scripts
  7. Navigate to your forum and test away!

Reporting Issues

DO NOT REPORT ISSUES ON THE COMMUNITY FORUM

Please report all issues on the GitHub Issue Tracker. Remember to do a quick search through the issues to make sure your issue has not already been added or resolved.

Where to Download

We have merged all of our RC2 changes into our master branch, and we have tagged the RC 2 release. You can browse the tagged release here:

http://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/tree/Vanilla_2.0_rc2

And you can download the package here:

http://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/zipball/Vanilla_2.0_rc2

Comments

• @Mark

I just installed RC1 today and have barely set things up. Is there any place for me to see which files were changed from RC1? I'd like to just upload those specific files and do a clean install that way, rather than updating.
  • Awesome! I'll be sure to check it out! =)
  • Greeeeaaaaattt !!!! Good job.
  • cool!
  • blizeHblizeH ✭✭
    Great job, thanks so much guys :)
  • i cannot login admin panel .. how to fix this !!

• Im trying to update a pre- RC1 version of Vanilla 2.0. Following the instructions i'm a bit confused by where it says to run the structure file, I cant seem to find this? any help would be greatly appricated
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    @michaelalfox We strongly recommend against this, but if you're intent on doing it anyway, you should be able to use GitHub to figure out the difference of the two versions. Still, the best course of action is to just directly replace all the files. If you want to retain your settings, simply backup your conf/config.php file before the copy, and replace it again afterward.

@Gerardo If your forum's root URL was http://www.gerardo.com/vanilla then the utility/structure file would be accessed at http://www.gerardo.com/vanilla/dashboard/utility/structure.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Great it's getting closer and closer to that final version :D.

Now the only things I'm waiting for is attachments, inline images and discussion overview to be ported over to v2....
  • edited June 2010
    I'm *trying* to upgrade to the most recent version of Garden/Vanilla 2 (660a29d to ga80d0ccI) but cannot access this mysterious /path/to/vanilla/utility/structure page to update my database.

I've tried /dashboard/utility/structure/ but it continually redirects to a Fatal Error in Gdn_Database.Query(); page:
    "Unknown column 'd.Body' in 'field list'

I've also tried:
    /utility/structure
    /utility/structure/garden
    /utility/structure/vanilla
    /utility/structure/conversations

All give Fatal Errors - can anyone help please?

The error occurred on or near: /Users/iamkeir/Sites/bristolunibreakdance/library/database/class.database.php
    Application Version: 2.0 rc2
    PHP Version: 5.2.11
  • if i had the same problem, first of all i would use the old class.database.php file from the previous versions of vanilla, to check if it'll work
  • Hey all, trying to update and when I go to the structure file to update it just says the same thing as the main page of the forums:

"Fatal error: Interface 'Gdn_IAuthenticator' not found in D:\faemir.co.uk\wwwroot\acidpolice\library\core\class.passwordauthenticator.php on line 31"

Any ideas?
    Hi @Faemir

Some steps for you to take to solve this problem.

1) Delete library/core/class.passwordauthenticator.php
    2) Delete cache/library_mappings.php

This should solve the problem. Post back if it doesn't :)

• It solved it, but then it just returned me to the forums logged out - do I not need to do the update script? It doesn't seem to do anything.
  • oliverraduneroliverraduner Contributing to Vanilla since 2010 Switzerland ✭✭
    @Faemir Probably you need to clear your cookies.
  • @lukoie thanks for that suggestion... alas, I tried it and received a different error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method Gdn_DataSet::FetchAllRows() in /Users/iamkeir/Sites/bristolunibreakdance.test/library/database/class.database.php on line 215

:(
    @iamkeir

The error you ran into comes from a flawed method of 'updating' to the latest code. I'm willing to bet that you downloaded RC2 and simply pasted the new files on top of your old directory. This leaves not only your old cache files in place, but any code files we deleted will also remain, and may take precedence over new files with similar names but different folders.

Try copying your conf/config.php file to a safe place, deleting all your code, and simply creating a new set of files, fresh from the RC2 archive, and then replace your conf/config.php file back where it belongs.

Maybe backup all your old files first, just incase ;)

• Hey @Tim, thanks for responding.

You were quite right - although I had cleared my cache files, I hadn't taken into account any files that may have been *removed*, and simply did an overwrite.

I did as you suggested and it worked (I will add, I disabled all plugins for the upgrade process too, just to be on the safe side).

Thank you so much!
  • oliverraduneroliverraduner Contributing to Vanilla since 2010 Switzerland ✭✭
    I disabled all plugins for the upgrade process too
    Yeah, I realized that this is an important step when upgrading :)
  • Awesome!