Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Quicktags

3stripe3stripe ✭✭
edited July 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Quicktags

Comments

• mattmatt ✭✭
    I am getting this JS error on comment pages:

document.forms.frmPostDiscussion has no properties http://www.autonomuse.com/forum/extensions/Quicktags/quicktags.js Line 328
  • Hmmm. I haven't tried any of the new version of Vanilla so maybe something needs updating....
  • mattmatt ✭✭
    It's seems it's trying to access a form that doesn't exist on discussion pages.

var frm = document.getElementById('frmPostComment'); if (frm) { // Do stuff in here, like... setCheckedValue(document.forms['frmPostComment'].elements['FormatType'], 'Html'); }else{ setCheckedValue(document.forms['frmPostDiscussion'].elements['FormatType'], 'Html'); //THIS LINE }
    Any luck with this?
  • Buttons "ul" (underline?) and "ol" (overline?) don't work in Safari or Firefox under OS X. In both browsers, "ul" & "ol" merely indend the text. Everything else seems to work fine though.
  • Quicktags works fine in all browsers and platforms, it uses basic HTML, nothing fancy or overdone, it's simple, it works.

ul and ol are NOT underline and overline, they are unordered list and ordered list, both need intermediary li tags.
    • unordered item one
    • unordered item two
    1. ordered item one
    2. ordered item two
    Block this comment to see how it's done.

Posted: Sunday, 22 April 2007 at 5:09PM

• Noted that there is no "underline" in this extension.

I appreciate the clarifications!
  • Underline is easily added, I added an button without too much effort.

Posted: Sunday, 22 April 2007 at 6:36PM

• Wanderer, what did you do specifically to add "underline" and "audio"?

Thanks.
  • I hacked the quicktags.js file.
    Sorry I don't have time to provide exact details right now, maybe you could take a look at the quicktags.js file on my site and work it out?

Posted: Sunday, 22 April 2007 at 8:06PM

• lechlech Chicagoland
    3stripe, you still working on this? I found a little quirk when attempting to use access keys in conjunction with this add-on as the Discussions access key appears to insert del (strikeout) tags instead of taking us back to the discussions :)

I created a fix where instead I remapped all the access keys to number keys instead based on their order. Alternately, removing the access keys works too.
  • It would seem that the javascript errors are nothing that is incorrect, except maybe the timing. Perhaps it is trying to set the selected radio button before the form has completely been created in the DOM. Can anyone else (with more javascript talent confirm this?
  • lech, any chance you could post those changes? 3stripe might be willing to add them in if you do (and I'd be interested in using them even if he doesn't).
  • Here's Lech's mod: It's too damn long to fit in a comment!

It's at http://www.unattended.org/.etc/quicktags.js - I haven't tested this yet though - I'll package this up and update the extension at the weekend...
  • Right folks, I'm sad to say I neither have the time nor the inclination to carry on with this stuff. So, if someone wants to take over this extension, give me a shout!
  • It would be very easy to improve the physical and cognitive ergonomics of the buttons:
    • make the tiny ones (italic is 1/16" on my notebook) a lot bigger (Fitts' Law: effort to hit a target is inversely proportional to size)
    • use captions comprehensible to people who don't know the tags (see comment #5).
    Just using words would meet both goals. UnorderedList, OrderedList, & ListItem would explain both function and abbreviation. And strikethrough, |code. (Or snag icons from BBInsertBar or FCKEditor.)

(To folks on my forum who don't know HTML, it isn't even obvious that they're all format - DEL and CODE are pretty scary.)
    (Also the old short tags <b> <i> <s> are more lucid - not sure if they're now a faux pas.)
  • I agree Pogo-man, however would all browsers display the buttons in the same way?

I tried to do this a while back and had limited success with Firefox and Safari, if someone with more CSS skills than myself could take this on it would be great.
  • Wanderer - yeah, browser variations are surprising. I use Opera - on your site, strikethrough on DEL doesn't show, button padding (whitespace) is lost, shadow much reduced compared to IE6. Toolbar reduced from 9.3 to 6.9 cm.

Still, replacing initials with words in button definitions can't really fail. Adding new buttons to "Quicktags" # 2 .

• is this add-on not working anymore in the latest version of vanilla?