Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

User Wall

Comments

• hey man - i was running beta 6 before
    & now i'm running your beta 10

i have tried both reinstalling my old copy
    & your new copy, using the technique you described

it would seem the database table is now totally gone (i have checked using mysql - i have version 4 with godaddy)
    & that neither version can recreate the table successfully

i will try again of course - but any insight would be great !

also - not sure how to check database connection settings. if the forum is functioning fine otherwise is it safe to assume they are ?
  • ok scratch that
    i just reinstalled beta 6 & it worked first time
    so there's clearly a difference between 6 & 10 in that 6 sets up on my forum & 10 can't as of yet

does that help decipher things a bit better ?
  • alright - so with beta 6 setup fine
    i followed your instructions above & tried to setup beta 10
    & i get this error on the account page :

"Some problems were encountered
    An error occurred while creating the User Wall database table."

even though we know now the table is there & that beta 6 works fine - thoughts ?
  • @libido, Right libido, i can't really seem to pinpoint the source of the issue. It may be database connection issues, it could be extension clashes. Or it could even be the fact i set the collation settings in my sql code which i just realized. I've changed the code now to remove the collation settings. if this doesn't work, just post back here and i will give instructions on the arduous and crazy way of manually installing the extension, which i don't really recommend hehe.

Anyhow i've uploaded a new archive, same version different date stamp (2008-04-28). Please make sure you check the date stamp.
    This version i've included a debug mode. currently the debug mode only works for database creation and alteration during installation/upgrade of the extension. To enable debug mode. just find $uDebug and change that to TRUE.

Anyhow download the new version and try it first following the same procedures as before.

Now if this version works for you libido, you've definitely opened my eyes up to making friendlier codes. As if this version fixed up your issue, it would have been a database structure clash.

p.s. to everybody, i would love it if people who are using this extension, and using other themes to take a screenshot and post it up. And tell me if you've made any changes, and if there is a general concensus i will modify the code/style to include those changes for the next release.
  • hey man -

i tried your new installation & got this error on the account page :

"Some problems were encountered
    An error occurred during the User Wall extension upgrade process, please inform the author immediately and quote the version you are using."

really sorry about this. i have no idea how to help which frustrates me a lot. thanks for all the time & thought you are putting into this. i wish more people were around to let us know if it is or isn't working. my only guess is that there are extensions i have installed that are clashing with your new version. that said, the original is still working just fine for me so ... yeah. just weird !
  • @libido okay from my previous post. Now you shouldn't even have activated the upgrade feature, since going from beta 6 to beta 10, i've made changes a couple and i can't exactly remember if any of those changes are the database structure.
    So the best option was for you to reinstall completely, ie. by removing that version line as mentioned in the previous post.
    So just try that complete reinstallation, i'm hoping that it will work. my wireless router at home has been busted so hence that's why my visit to the community is a little eratic, if you need to e-mail me, you can do so from my website using the contact page. the link is located in the extension file.

I have just realized that in the new archive, i may have still left the collation settings set for the upgrade. If this is the problem, so by following the previous instruction to complete reinstall should do the trick. The new archive with the fixed upgrade has been uploaded, archive datestamp 2008-04-30
  • thanks, dude
    looking into this right now
    i will let you know how it goes !
  • IT WORKS!

you rule. wow. thanks so much.

testing it with my 1600 odd users now. will let you know if they manage to break it ;)

thanks again !
  • @libido, yay :). Glad to help. 1600 users huh... this should be interesting...
  • I have struggled with this extension crashing my site. NOw if i dont have the extension on my server the site will not operate at all. To get the site up i had to manually insert ($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."UserWall/default.php"); as well as the line in conf.settings as described in the Readme text to delete for a "clean install" If i remove either of these lines, the site crashes to blank screens. Any thoughts?
  • hello guys long time no see,

how is this wall extension doing? allready stable and ready to go? some progress?
  • @ suicideking: Sorry may be a stupid question, but which version of User wall and vanilla are you running? Because there's the official package and then the package that i'm currently updating and producing which you can download from one of the post in this thread.
    So i'm trying to understand your problem. let me see if i understood you
    * You've installed user wall
    * Upon uninstallation of User Wall, your website will crash
    * While user wall is uninstalled, to get your website up and running, you've had to modify your conf/settings and conf/extension file

Hmm various things i can think of which may not be relevant, how did you uninstall userwall. did you just delete the folder or did you first disabled the wall then delete the folder. In which case it's weird that you would have to artificially add in those lines for your forum to work.

@fery, if you've only asked that question before suicideking posted, i would have said yeah... working pretty fine as i didn't get a big shoutout in the thread going "i *&^( hate you, i installed your software and it totally killed me" Since i last released the latest version.

Anyway @ suicideking again, if possible could you obtain a screenshot of the crash. I will try to troubleshoot, i may need a test account to your ftp and website if that's possible. Email me the details to me, you can find my contact details on my website listed in the extension.
  • If you could just add simple notifications about new comments on the Wall, it'd be really nice! Something like New Applicants notification would be just enough.
  • I'm getting this error when I try to edit someone else's comment on the wall:

Warning: Missing argument 2 for ForceIncomingInt(), called in /srv/www/vhosts/multistrefa.info/httpdocs/forum/extensions/UserWall/default.php on line 217 and defined in /srv/www/vhosts/multistrefa.info/httpdocs/forum/library/Framework/Framework.Functions.php on line 333

Notice: Undefined variable: DefaultValue in /srv/www/vhosts/multistrefa.info/httpdocs/forum/library/Framework/Framework.Functions.php on line 335

Notice: Undefined variable: DefaultValue in /srv/www/vhosts/multistrefa.info/httpdocs/forum/library/Framework/Framework.Functions.php on line 336

Notice: Undefined variable: DefaultValue in /srv/www/vhosts/multistrefa.info/httpdocs/forum/library/Framework/Framework.Functions.php on line 338

Notice: Undefined variable: DefaultValue in /srv/www/vhosts/multistrefa.info/httpdocs/forum/library/Framework/Framework.Functions.php on line 339

Notice: Undefined variable: DefaultValue in /srv/www/vhosts/multistrefa.info/httpdocs/forum/library/Framework/Framework.Functions.php on line 340
  • Hi guys. Here's a good news. From all your replies and hints, i have figured out a possible way for me to implement notifications of wall posts.

So i will try to implement this and get back to you guys. but firstly i would like some input...
    How would you like the notifications to be set out? please vote comment.

1. "You have # new wall post/s"
    2. Or multiple lines showing the names of people who have left you posts? "{name} have left you a message".

So yeah please inform me, feel free to give me quotes to be used as the notification message that you think would be wise, i will also try to enable a custom settings to change the settings of course.

Which brings me to my next topic. Seems like user wall is pretty much being maintained by me.. i'm thinking of renaming this extension and posting it as my own with acknowledgement of pol as a co author.

So if anybody has a suggestion of names to rename the extension, instead of user wall. It will be greatly appreciated. The newly named extension will include the notification system.

Well will get back to you guys soon.

P.S. @dkodr, did the package i sent you fixed your problem? i'm assuming that it did.
  • Great news vanoob.

I'm indifferent to the notification used. Whichever is easiest I suppose. How does Facebook do it?

As for a name, you could get away from the Wall idea and use something like GuestBook. Or how about WonderWall?
  • @vanoob: I'm sorry, I haven't managed to test it, yet. Thank you for your concern! As soon as I'll find some time to upload and test the updated version, I'll tell you wether the problem has been resolved.

-[ edit ]----------

The update fixed the problem ;-) Thanks a lot! Looking forward to the notifications.
  • Okay guys here's the update on what i have been up to. I have gone over the extension once more, and i actually found various bugs that were not reported to do with message editing by global moderators. This issue has been fixed. I've also revamped the private messages system which allows for tighter control during database queries -> similar to the implementation of vanilla.

But i guess the thing you guys are waiting for is the notifications of new messages. Now let me say that i have implemented a system that works, but crude. I am in the midst of polishing it. However heres an overview.

So basically how it works will a notification will appear informing you how many messages that you have not viewed, it will offer a link back to the accounts page.
    Now whether you use this link or navigate to the accounts page using the account tab. All the messages that appears on your screen will be marked as old immediately. So new messages on another page will still be left as not having being viewed. Also note that an edited message will again be marked as new/not viewed.

And with regards to making my packages an official extension I have decided to dub it "Message Wall". Unless you can give me a better reason not to give it that name. You will be seing the first installments soon after i finish the polishing stages and implement an auto update system to hopefully allow you to keep your old data without starting afresh.

Cheers
  • Sorry guys, haven't uploaded the new "Message Wall" extension yet. Been waiting for 1.1.5 final to test it out. Hopefully will officially launch the extension by early next week.
  • vanoob, no pressure at all, but any news on the new version?
This discussion has been closed.