Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

SubCategories

Comments

• Have you overloaded the theme, Vaz? I forgot to mention, that you will need to re-pull the theme for this version to work (due to structural changes).

Adam.
  • So the theme overload IS compulsary? Unfortunately my sites down I can't test it out. Will get back to you. I've currently just uploaded the file.
  • It's not compulsory, I was just wondering if you have overloaded the theme from a previous version. If you have, the old theme will not work work with the new version (and so you should replace sub-categores.php with the new one in your theme folder). If you haven't then it is a different problem - if so, could you post the outline of your categories.

Let me know when your site is back up.

Thanks,

Adam.
  • Hi Adam, The site is back. I'm sorry but I'm just getting confused now. Right now all I have done is uploaded: /SubCategories/default.php /SubCategories/categories.php /SubCategories/theme/sub-categories.php & then enabled extension. Where do I go from here? Thanks again.
  • Okay, it is my fault, I will release 0.2.1 in a minute which should resolve the problem. My apologies.

Adam.
  • Hmm, you know I cannot find what might be causing this Vaz. Are you sure you don't have a sub-categories.php in any other theme folders? Could you please post the outline of your categories (just a list of their full names from the settings pages) so that I can try and work out what the problem is.

It might be worth disabling the extension, deleting the files from the extension folder and trying over again.

Adam.
  • Hi, Well I disabled the extension, deleted it and went back to my category page and got the following error: Fatal error: Call to undefined function subdiscussioncount() in /home/.pilar/xxxx/xxxxxx.com/forums/themes/categories.php on line 27. I'm presuming this is due to that variable change we made earlier on to show the number of total discussions within a category. Could this be conflicting with the new updated version? (which I tried again and didnt work for me).
  • Yes, once the extension is gone, so is the function that was added to make discussion counts cumulate with subcategory discussions I am afraid.

I am really quite stumped as to what could be causing the issues you are experiencing so I am going to release 0.2.1 in hope that it fixes your problems.
  • Uploaded version 0.2.1 of SubCategories.
  • ok I've restored categories.php (theme file) back to how it was. Error has now gone. Testing new extention.. please wait. edit- didnt work for me. I bet it's going to turn out to be something really silly. Do you have msn or another form of contact? Do you mind taking a look and trying to get it running? thanks again.
  • is it possible to have the nesting in the "all discussion" page, just like the discussion page? I haven't figured how to make it. thanks
  • I will whisper you my MSN, Vaz.

Milingo, I don't see how nesting would work on the main discussion page. As the whole point of seeing sub-categories is that you are within a category. Or am I misunderstanding you?

Adam.
  • Hi, Pretend I have this menu in my post /comments.php?DiscussionID=1&page=1 Movies > Public Domain: "Movie title" in the "home page (/)" of the forum it appears as "Movie title" Category Public Domain But I'd like to see the full tree as "Movie title": Movies > Public Domain Is that possible? thanks!
  • Okay, Vaz's problem is due to using the > character in his parent category name. Not sure why this is yet, I presume it has something to do with Vanilla stripping HTML from category titles, interfering with the rendering on the discussions pages, when I know the problem and have fixed it, I will make another release (but till now, try to avoid using the > character).

Adam.
  • Hi Adam, Well I removed the > and it has had an effect. Some sub-categories are now showing but not all. One of my parent category has about 5-7 sub categories. However, just one sub-category is showing.
  • These seem to be due to the dashes in the sub-category names. I will also look into this when I look into the issue later today. It seems to be a general issue with special characters in names.

This one seems a little more obvious to fix. It is thinking they are sub sub categories, which is a problem (generally, it is making a mince meat of things... but at least I know what it is down to).

I have a fix in progress.

Adam.
  • I guess it needs to ignore -'s as subcategory indicators after there has been another character. Is that fixable with a little regex? /me sucks at regex
  • I am just going to count all -'s that are not at the front, and subtract them from the overall count. I don't want to get into regex, it is slow, and I am not great at it either ;-).

Adam.
  • Ah, I see how it all works now :D Nice and simple...
  • Uploaded version 0.2.2 of SubCategories.