Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

What are you reading? - books

edited September 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
hey all, what are you reading at the moment? I just finished: "The Book Of Laughter And Forgetting" - Milan Kundera and just started this morning: "The Unbearable Lightness Of Being" - Milan Kundera He's a kick ass writer

Comments

• edited September 2005
    I am reading
    • John McGrath - You Inc
    • Virgin Business Guides - The Best-Laid Business Plans: How to Write Them, How to Pitch Them
    • current Issue of Australian Motorcyle News
    • Twist of the Wrist 2.
  • I'm reading Eiji Yoshikawa's "Musashi" (for the third time) Started the book "Aglie web development with rails" by bunch of people And also "Programming in Lua" by Roberto Ierusalimschy Why I read so many books at the same time? Well, I'm not sure, but I usually read the development books while I'm doing things, and constantly flip through the book to grasp things.
  • The elephant vanishes - Haruki Murakami
  • Maskerade - Terry Pratchett
    The Discworld books are a fantastic series.
  • Ken Kesey - One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
    Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted.
  • Carter Beats the Devil - Glen David Gold

It's a fictional account of the life of a real 1920's magician, takes you from the night of his greatest performance, to his childhood and back again. It really is quite marvellous, full of twists and turns and of course the protagonist beating the Devil.
  • Does he beat the devil with a stick?
  • Nope and I can't tell you as I'm sworn not to reveal how the tricks work :)
  • Fair enoug, but I still think he should have gone with the stick, and exploding teddybear.
  • Does it tell you how the tricks were done in the book though?
  • KrakKrak New
    edited September 2005
    The Vanilla Community Forum, some news, and a few other forums/tutorials... I dont read books or magazines. Magazines suck, its 98% ads, and I've never found a book that sparked my interest to devote the time to read it. I have other things to do..

The only books I deemed good enough to read were the Shadow series ("Willow" for the peeps that dont know). Its the continuation of Willow..
    1. Willow
    2. Shadow Moon
    3. Shadow Dawn
    4. Shadow Star
  • What is Willow?
  • Depends what you mean by 'at the moment'. In my current pile i have: Bill Bryson - A Short History of Nearly Everything Harriet Swain - Big Questions in Science Alexandra Robbins - Quarterlife Crisis And I'm not really reading it, but ofcourse, The Times - Su Doku Book1. Then again, the last time i actually got deep into any of those books doesnt bear thinking :(
  • KrakKrak New
    edited September 2005
    Willow - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096446/ "Out of the way peck"
  • erm I just read the plot summary for Willow posted above =D It reminds me of Snow White but I'm sure it's much more interesting.
  • Quarantine - Greg Egan I just finished 'How to clode the perfect blonde' and 'A brief Histroy of Time'. A reccomend the former. The latter is just to damn hard.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    David Allen - Getting Things Done Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted
  • edited September 2005
    David Allen - Getting Things Done /me laughs
  • Jonathan Safran Foer - Everything is illuminated also just finished Nick Drake's biography which was excellent holiday reading, although not the happiest of ending obviously.
This discussion has been closed.