Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

E-Mail to Vanilla Gateway Extension

cmicmi
edited February 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
It would be great to have an extension which could check an pop3 email account every X minutes and post the new emails into a specific category or discussion like: - if the subject of the email is new, then post a new discussion - if in the subject of the email is a known discussion then append it to the running discussion That would help a lot to use Vanilla as a Workgroup tool as well!

Comments

• That would be cool. There is a Drupal module that does this. Although the code will not apply here, if you want to see how they do it, I can post a link to the code. I could email it to if you wanted also. Just give me a bell.
  • how about integration with the up and coming Lemonade? Mmmmm.....
  • yeah. that is a pretty neat idea, and not that complicated i shouldnt think. Once we can work out how to make entire pages and someones documented it, i'd be up for it. Maybe.
  • What is Lemonade? Could you post the URI? Thanks!
  • its marks upcoming project - a mailing list manager of some sorts. We think. Its all very sneaky sneaky and hush-hush and nothings been confirmed so there isnt an url yet.
  • Ah, I see. OK, let's keep it hush-hush... at least for the time being :-)
  • There is a plugin for phpBB that does this here: http://www.mail2forum.com/wiki/Main_Page. Again, probably not usable in its entirety, but its interesting to see how they work through some issues (like what if the from address is spoofed etc). Oh, and they don't just have the pop3 functionsality. That it one of three ways of doing it. It can also work with some already list-specific packages. Of course, all this talk about a seceret chilled fruit drink kind of makes all that less relavant.
  • Wordpress has a function like this also.
  • Since we all just listed other projects that have the same functionality, here is the drupal one I was talking about. http://drupal.org/project/mailhandler That is a link to the project overview page, but you can download the source from there also. It is also GPL, so you can 'borrow' some of the code as necessary.
  • would someone be able to write an extension? cause I'm not the one, but I would support it... gimme your paypal account!
  • Okay so i want to roll out vanilla to a group of old foggies who may or may not like the forum style but deffinitlly want try it. In order to ease them in i will need a way for vanilla to send out any new posts to peoples email and then be able to receive replies to those emails and post in the proper discussion. In essence turning the forum into a email list/forum hybrid. I know PHPBB has a similiar feature called Mail-2-Forum. I really like vanilla though and would prefer to use it. I have about a week and a half of free time to code this functionality do you think its doable in that time period?
This discussion has been closed.