Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla Voting 0.2beta

edited December 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Vanilla Voting 0.2beta

Comments

• This looks excellent MSB! Now I just need to get my forum working again and try it out :P <OT>Don't you think it's sad that the buttons get depressed when they've been chosen? You'd think they'd be happy about it!</OT>
  • installed and overwrote those two files, dont see the interface on the threads, does appear on the comments but when pressed doesnt have an effect.
  • ok it doesn't work with Stash's jquery extension, so just disable it and Vanilla Voting will add its own jquery file.
    Stash can you see whats wrong with jquery

Look for this code in Vanilla.Class.Comments.php $this->DelegateParameters['DataSet'] = $DataSet; and replace it with $this->DelegateParameters['DataSet'] = &$DataSet;
  • >ok it doesn't work with Stash's jquery extension, so just disable it and Vanilla Voting will add its own jquery file.
    >Stash can you see whats wrong with jquery

so i have to drop actually 4 good extensions in return for a working vanilla voting extension ? is there also a better solution?

thx in advance.
  • Would probably help if you mentioned which those extensions were.
  • fery copy the jquery file from Vanilla voting and put it in the jquery extensions and use that one, it will work then.
    btw it says on the top its a beta please don't it on production site
  • Unfortunately I'm unable to use this. I've made some edits to discussion.php and unfortunately I can't remember what they are. Good idea though. I'll definately be using it on any other forums I setup.
  • It works fine for me so far with Discussion Filters, Discussion Pages, Hot Discussions, New Discussions, Participated Threads and Unanswered Discussions (yep I know these are pretty specific extensions, but it's my test forum...).

What does this extension do exactly? Do discussions get sunk or closed after a given amount of negative votes or something like that? And what about comments? Are they hidden by default for everyone in the same way? Is there a plan to change a discussion's label following its votes?

Sorry but I'm no Digg member, so I don't know how its voting system actually works.

Anyway the Ajax effects are really nice, clean and smooth. I like the overall look & feel a lot.
  • if you give a negative voting to comment, its collapsed and remains collapsed everytime you read that thread, For others it depends on what they voted, If they voted positive for that same comment, for them it won't be collapsed.

Sinking/Closing a discussion after it gets a certain number of negative votes
    Done :)
    Collapse a comment for ALL after it gets a certain number of negative votes
    Todo

Is there a plan to change a discussion's label following its votes?
    No

vaz do a file match and you will know what are the changes,then you copy over those changes to your discussion.php file

The voting look and feel is taken from mixx.com
  • Sounds cool :)

Another idea would be to have discussions filters along with the ratings. For example you could click a link to display the five most loved discussions, the five most hated, the most recent not-rated-yet discussions, etc. Or maybe add a panel item dedicated to these kind of statistics if you enable it in your preferences, a bit like Latest Dicussions Prime.

Going further in the idea of social features, you could also have a list of authors with the most popular/unpopular discussions and comments. There could even be an automatic role change for users when they reach a given level of votes. Dunno if it would be actually democratic or not, but it would be interesting for sure. If you keep posting lot of interesting stuff you could become a "premium author" or something, if you keep posting crap all your comments may be automatically hidden for a few days, etc.

Just a few ideas. I'd love to see such features but I guess it would be a lot of work.
  • >fery copy the jquery file from Vanilla voting and put it in the jquery extensions and use that one, it will work then.
    >btw it says on the top its a beta please don't it on production site

ok i'll try , btw my site is actually a zeta version (not even beta :D), but thanks for the hint
  • n e problems with this mod ?

n e other beta issues with it?
    jw
  • I've not been able to get it to display at all. I get the link to choose which forums to enable it for, but nothing else (no link in roles and permissions, and nothing in the selected forum)? Any ideas?
  • jkjunkfilter check your settings.php and database.php file does it have entries for VanillaVoting
  • Look like there's a CSS problem with CategoryIcons. Icons appear above the vote buttons :

Tested in Firefox.
  • that the problem with category Icons. it uses absolute positioning.
    nothing i can do about it. you will have to fix Category icon css.
  • well i had tough luck, no success with the (js) replacement idea :(
  • You can use the fix I posted about moving the categoryicons to the right side.
    Blogger # 21
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    @MySchizoBuddy - did you get my email to your gmail address?
  • I tried testing this on a Vanilla 1.1.4 install and did the following:

* Installed and enabled the add-on
    * Replaced the two files from SVN (note the "&" seems to have already been added to the SVN file)
    * Enabled role to vote on comments, and selected the categories for voting
    * 0 Votes and arrows came up by each comment as expected. Clicking on them gave an alert saying "Adding vote to comment did not work".

Any suggestions? I tried with JQuery enabled and disabled without success.

I get this JS error:

$ is not a function
    [Break on this error] $(document).ready(function() {

AddVote.js.php (line 55)