Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

BlogThis

edited January 2009 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
BlogThis

Comments

• As this is a new release, please let me know if it works - not just if it doesn't :P
  • Just checked out your site. This is a really wonderful, nice, clean & simple solution to a common problem... much easier than the vanilla/wordpress integration options.

Now I have NO excuses left to re-examine Vanilla. I'll let you know if I encounter any problems. Thanks in advance.

TT

PS One feature request I do have is the ability to get an RSS feed of the 'blogged' items.
  • I'm glad we see eye to eye :)

I'm going to look at the RSS feed issue tomorrow. I'm using FeedPublisher at the moment which relies on the search facility to get its feed. So I might have to somehow add the ability to search for comments with the "BlogThis" flag. Hopefully I can do that using the Framework, without modifying the base code.
  • will your new contraption coexist with the current blog extension, or will I have to remove it first?
  • I'm using the same Class names IIRC - so chances are it won't be happy.

Just untick the Blog extension in the extension page, and that is enough to stop them upsetting each other.
  • Uploaded version 1.01 of BlogThis.
  • Version number changed from 1.01 to 1.02.
  • Uploaded version 1.02 of BlogThis.
  • Uploaded version 1.03 of BlogThis.
  • Uploaded version 1.04 of BlogThis.
  • Sorry for all the updates - as it stands, it's working bug-free on a clean install, with both friendly urls and without.
  • Wow, that looks great. I am curious what extensions you are running on your set-up. Also, do you have a sitemap for Search Engine Indexing? I am definitely going to be testing your extension out. It seems like a great way to extend Vanilla.
  • Uploaded version 1.05 of BlogThis.
  • Hi Sstarwarz,

I have the "Pimped" extension installed, so you can view what I'm using:

http://www.spodesabode.com/discussions/?PostBackAction=Pimped

From memory, I've tweaked most of them to work exactly as I want them to, and any that I feel would be useful to other people I've posted the code in the relevant threads.

As far as sitemap, there's nothing in there that I can think would help. But obviously the blog posts are merely linking to comments inside existing discussions - so as long as they are being indexed, technically so are your blog posts.

I have just added support for FeedPublishers RSS feeds, which helps a lot.
  • Spode: I wonder if there is something going on with your rewrite rules. when I go to the link you posted. it redirects me to the blog page. I was looking for pimped, but I did not see a link. Let me know the link and Thanks for sharing. I'm surprised the latency involved in your forum. It was kind of slow for me. Do you have lots of traffic? I don't have much to recommend better performance. you might want to use Firefox with Firebug and YSlow and see if you can add some optimizations. (Use Gzip, maybe combine your CSS and JS files into a single file.) I have not had much luck with it, but you might want to look at the Low Cal Vanilla http://lussumo.com/addons/index.php?PostBackAction=AddOn&AddOnID=315
  • Sstarwarz - No, I realise now that you have to be logged in to see the extensions, I guess it defaults to that for security. I'll take a look to see if I can disable that tomorrow - in the meantime, registering is the easy way!

I'm renting a dedicated server in the UK with my own Fedora install on, and I've always found it super fast. What country are you in? Annoyingly I don't think Vanilla has a "time taken" debug tool. Should be a feature request :) My regulars haven't complained, so it could be you.

But yes, I am thinking something like LowCal - I did look into it, and I have a feeling there was something stopping me from using it.
  • well, I am US. So, that could be it. don't worry. I'll just register.
  • Hi Sstawarz. I did have it turned on for global access, but it was a bug in the extension. I've fixed the bug (and posted it in the Pimped thread). The extension could do with a bit of a do-over really, I'm sure there must be a simpler way of doing what it does.
  • This is awesome. I'm wondering if you could help me figure out the following conundrum:

I'm running Vanilla as community forums for a main website. As part of the website there is also a blog. The mains website and the blog are powered by Wordpress. The community forums are obviously powered by Vanilla.

I'm wondering whether it would be possible to use you BlogThis plugin and connect it somehow with the Wordpress blog, so that any Vanilla forum posts that get promoted are sent to the Wordpress blog front page. Does that make sense?

Does anyone know if that's possible? Is there a stand alone RSS feed for the BlogThis posts? Because perhaps I could use a Wordpress plugin that would display all new Vanilla BlogThis posts on the Wordpress blog front page.

I wonder if there's an easier way of going about all this...

Any suggestions would be most appreciated indeed. Thanks very much.

Andrew.
  • Brilliant Extension! I have 2 (hopefully) small questions/problems. It does not appear to work with the sitemaps extension, so I have disabled this to avoid the error. Nuggets do not appear on my new 'Blog' page. Can this be fixed? Thanks