Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Optimize Tables

edited April 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Optimize Tables

Comments

• you could also have it auto-delete old ip address data as mentioned here.
  • Thats a great suggestion. I am going to integrate that in the next version (asap). Thanks!
  • Try making it an admin option as to how long until ip data is deleted. (1 hour? 1 day? 1 week? 1 month? 3 months? 6 months? 1 year?) If it's too soon, it deems the ip logging feature useless (it might as well be disabled), if it's too long, the gained performance is useless. This happy medium will be at a different place for each forum depending on traffic, and admin capabilities.
  • Hi fysicsluvr adn markezz. Thanks for your help on the forum. I will download this tomorrow and implement it.
  • Uploaded version 0.2 of Optimize Tables.
  • sounds pretty sweet
    cool stuff
  • Oops...

undefined.undefined(); The error occurred on or near: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'WHERE `Name` LIKE 'LUM_%' AND `Data_free` > 0' at line 1
  • Uploaded version 0.3 of Optimize Tables.
  • That error occured because of a mysql version prior to 5.0.1 - sorry, did not think about that. now its compatible from mysql 3.23...
  • OK great it seems to work now.

So how often does it check to optimize?
    Is it configurable?

Posted: Sunday, 13 April 2008 at 12:05PM

• Another question, I cleaned up the IP history using this extension.

How come I can still see each user's "Last Known Ip"?
  • it doesn't clean up all ip's, just the ones from the past. (it logs more than you think)
  • So how often does it check to optimize? Is it configurable?
    The optimization can only be started manually.
  • OK I see the "Optimize tables now" button appears now that I have 32 bytes overhead, great.

Is the IP history deleted automatically? I have it set to one month.
  • The IP history will be deleted when you either press the Button "Optimize tables now" or (if there is no overhead) the Button "Cleanup ip history now". For your setting it will then remove all entries from the IP history that are older than one month. An automated feature would mean to either use a cron-job, or to check on every page request if its already the time and need to perfom the cleanup again. Most of the standard web-hosters do not offer cron-usage and in my opinion an extension like this should not affect the speed of the forum. But if there is need for an automatic cleanup feature, I can implement an admin option in the next release to activate something like this.
  • I think it would be nice to have this feature. If I'm the only one, then don't waste your time.

You should have the cron-job options separate in case someone wants only one option automated.
  • Actually mate, I prefer it as it is, we tend to forget about automatic jobs then when something goes wrong we don't know where to look.

You've done a massive job on this extension, I was satisfied to do the optimizing in the control panel provided by my host but it's much more convenient using your interface within Vanilla itself.

Could I suggest you include a little more information in the read-me? This would stop people like me bugging you with questions.

Otherwise, a top job, thank you sincerely. image
  • hmm... good point.
  • i tried this extension
    i hit optimize tables after setting it to '1 week' above
    & got the following errors :

Notice: Undefined index: Engine in /home/content/D/e/a/Deadsy/html/forum/extensions/OptimizeTables/library/PostBackControl.OptimizeTablesForm.php on line 47

Notice: Undefined index: Engine in /home/content/D/e/a/Deadsy/html/forum/extensions/OptimizeTables/library/PostBackControl.OptimizeTablesForm.php on line 47

fortunately the forum still works, but i was wondering if this was normal to get these errors?
  • no, it is not.. i am going to fix that tonight. may i ask what mysql-version you are using ?
This discussion has been closed.