Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How about a good tutorial for plugin or application building?

DMLDML
edited July 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I want to try to make a plugin or an app.
I think that is an app for what I've read, it's a standalone.
But the example presented in the documentation isn't working.
Also the explanations are very poor. If someone have more info on APP or plugins pelase share.

Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• I tested the Welcome app.

For the screenshots it ws made with Vanilla 1.

I did everything that is there. When I try domain.com/homepage i get a Page not found.

Some help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Daniel
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    @Tim is bloggin on this topic for Vanilla 2.

Here is the first part: http://vanillaforums.org/blog/writing-plugins-for-vanilla-2-part-1/
  • What i'm thinking is to make a blog app for vanilla. I really like vanilla and im getting very interested in this.
    So I thought I could help the community and make something usefull.

The only problem is the lack of a good documention for the garden framework.

I will read the post carefully but it is for plugins.

Thanks for the answer.
  • RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    @DML a blog app would be so awesome...let me know if you need any help

There is a really good blog plugin for Vanilla 1, that you should take a look at (BlogThis)

It works really well, because all it does is take a normal discussion post and "promotes" it to a blog post on the main page. All comments are then handled by the Vanilla forum itself. It's very clever and lightweight, and from my experience is a perfect implementation.

Good luck!
  • I'm actually interested in building a blog/cms myself but the framework/forum isn't as separated as I'd like. Tags, categories and comments e.t.c. are tied in with the vanilla (forum) application so I will either have to start all of those again with modularity in mind or duplicate then hack away at the code.

I could use the forum and display it like a blog but it's just not the same. Some of the features should be like the activity stream or conversations.
  • The idea of an application, it's it doesn't depend on anything else. You can just use the login info of the vanilla forum.

@Raize that looks really cool. Maybe the author port it to vanilla 2.

Still i will take a look and hope for more Documentation from vanilla and see if I can make a simple blog app if no one makes one. :)
  • @DML I realise that the idea of applications is that they're self contained but most of the features in vanilla are not forum specific so it would be nice to have them decoupled and available as a library or something.