Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to tag a large amount of posts moving from phpBB to Vanilla2?

candymancandyman ✭✭
edited July 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I'm trying to switch from phpBB to Vanilla2 maintaining the same structure.
In phpBB I have different forums that containing various threads according to the argument. For example in the forum "kitchen" there are two threads: "Restaurants" and "Recipes" and in the forum "sport" I have three threads: "Soccer", "Basket" and "Tennis".
How you can easily imagine, the topics (posts) contained in the threads have not tags according to the their argument.

By moving to Vanilla2 what will I obtain? A messy amount of posts ordered by date? How can I tag over 100000 posts before the transfer in order to obtain an ordered structure?

I can not find a solution to this.

Comments

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Vanilla 2 uses categories and they are brought over from phpbb using the porter.

There is a categories view in Vanilla 2 which you can see even on this forum by going to /categories instead of /discussions.

If you want to view your discussions by category instead of discussion then you can change your default route.
    1. Go to Dashboard/Routes
    2. Look for the DefaultController route and click edit.
    3. Change the target from discussions to categories
    4. You can optionally add a new route expression of discussions and a target of categories.
  • Thanks for the answer: I'll change the target.
    With "route expression" you mean a tab (like "Votes" amd "Date Added") used to switch views or something other?
    Sorry for bad Englis,: it's my fault, but I haven't understood the last line.
    Routes are a feature in your dashboard. Look for a menu item called Routes.

Routes allow you to have urls point to different locations from their defaults. So by default your root points to discussions, but you can change that route to point to categories.
  • All is clear now! Many thanks! :D
  • why can only the discussion creator tag keywords, and is using two words to tag impossible?
    We will be adding permissions so others can tag a discussion. I think we are relaxing the characters allowed for tagging, but will probably disallow spaces since it is nice for the ui to separate keywords.

@Tim has been doing a lot of work with tagging so maybe he has some more info.