Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Plugin Controller Method Override (Vanilla 2 Sub-Categories)

Hey,

I'm trying to write a plugin that will enable adding of sub-categories in vanilla 2.

I'm having problems overriding the default view for "Categories Add" method but anything I try does not work for me.

I Tried the following in my Plugin class:

public function CategoriesController_Add_Override(&$Sender){ $Sender->Render('views/categories/add.php'); }

But it does not work. I've also tried the following:

public function CategoriesController_Add_Render_Override(&$Sender){ $Sender->Render('views/categories/add.php'); }

and still no luck. Any help greatly appreciated.
Tagged:

Comments

• I've tried few other things and the only way I was able to override Categories->Add Method was using "Declared Magic Event" and modifying the original Categories ->Add method by prefixing it with an 'x' but this is not the solution I'm looking for because plugin will not work when enabled on other vanilla 2 forums.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    From what I could tell from the controller's view, it looks like the adding functionality of categories is on the Settings Controller (since CategoriesController is a 'front end controller'). The method you'd be looking to intercept is SettingsController::AddCategory().

So basically what you do is hook the Render() call for all methods on SettingsController, and then check Gdn::Dispatcher()->ControllerMethod() to detect when your particular method is being called and take action at that point.

public function SettingsController_Render_Before($Sender) { if (Gdn::Dispatcher()->Application() == 'vanilla' && Gdn::Dispatcher()->ControllerMethod() == 'addcategory') $Sender->View = 'views/categories/add.php'; }
    Try that?

Note: I just made this up, if it doesn't work we can try something else.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• nice try but there seems to be an infinite loop there with magic events i think.

[/web/forum/library/core/class.pluggable.php:192] Gdn_Dispatcher->xApplication(); [/web/forum/library/core/class.pluggable.php:192] Gdn_Pluggable->__call(); [/web/forum/library/core/class.pluggable.php:192] Gdn_Dispatcher->Application(); [/web/forum/library/core/class.pluggable.php:192] Gdn_Pluggable->__call(); ... and so on
  • I guess the only way to override views is just to put them into theme folder. For my example it would be sitting in:

/themes/ThemeName/views/categories/add.php

If anybody else got any ides let me know.