Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

CLEditor: (yet) another wysiwyg plugin

Comments

• rakrak
    edited August 2010
    ... if it could work on the edit pages too that would be great ...
    Doesn't the fix above make it work on Edit pages too?
    (Please post the last part of the URL/path of one of these pages)
  • edited August 2010
    @rak

That fix is perfect. It works on edit and new posts. The only slight downside is that it feels a little weird to have it pop up on mouseover. But that's a small quibble.

With that fix, this wysiwyg plugin is by far the leader of the pack for Vanilla 2.
  • @Lykaon: Thanks for the vote of confidence! But, it's not a perfect solution (I don't think it works well with the 'Preview' tab either.)

Having said that, after finding that jQuery live() function, I'm sure there's a way to extend it so that it adds toolbars without the need for a mouseover.

Where are all jQuery ninjas when you need them?!
  • @rak sorry special needs in the corner here - yes it works on the editor too.

Mouseover fix would be good - best wysiwyg editor for Vanilla
  • @rak: after applying this latest fix it seems to be working for me too. However we have found slight conflict with "Quote selection" plugin. It sometimes convert ">" character (which is usied for quotes) to html safe character, thus rendering Vanilla unable to format quote properly.
  • And another thing: It does not clear editor field after posting comments, the comment text just stays there.
  • @rak: another con that's actually going to make me disable the plugin. Users can't enter any text in the box at all in IE8. :(
  • @Lykaon: Re: IE8... Please let me know if the original CLEditor works on IE8: http://premiumsoftware.net/cleditor/demos/demo1.html - Thanks!

@tmilovan: I'll take a look at that, there's probably a way to make CLEditor clear the field with jQuery when Vanilla creates the new posting.
  • @rak: Yes. That link works fine in IE8. But the plugin in Vanilla just flashes a cursor in the middle of the box and doesn't let me type in anything.
  • most of my users insert image and then would like to make this image a link
    (even the original) cleditor does not allow that

in order to temporarilly enable this I have patched jquery.cleditor.min.js, so that part:
    if(f=="url"){if(d=="link"&&I(b)=="")
    becomes:
    if(f=="url"){if(d=="link"&&I(b)=="" && 0)

while this is not best solution, it might help someone
  • @Lykaon: Was it working in IE8 before you applied the 'mouseover' fix? http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/127506/#Comment_127506
  • @rak
    I remember trying it few versions earlier
    thanks, I will check this plugin again and see if it is OK now
  • @rak: not sure on that. I'd have to go back and revert out the fix to check. I can't do that from here, but I'll try to remember to do it this evening.
  • Anyone having problems with this plugin on iPhone?
  • edited August 2010
    @rak: I did not have time to see if the non-fixed version of the plugin worked in IE8. Sorry. IE8 should be pretty easy to come by, though, if you want to test yourself.

I was trying to get my forums working before opening to the public, but failed to see this IE8 error until it was too late. Now I have to listen to them complain about not having functionality that they used to have in Vanilla 1.

This isn't your fault or anything. Just saying; I think I switched to Vanilla 2 prematurely. I mistook the public release for a fully-featured platform, and I don't think Vanilla 2 is quite there yet unfortunately.
  • Firstly great plugin.

Got a problem with the html view and text view showing at the same time. Only happens after a comment is posted.

Ive used the fix mentioned of editing the on mouse hover event which solves this when the page is refreshed but now after a comment is made.
  • edited September 2010
    @rak: IE8 doesn't work with or without the mouseover fix. The demo from cleditor's site does, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

edit: I was able to fix it in IE8. The arguments being passed into cleditor were causing the problem (don't know why). So instead what I did is I overrode the width BEFORE the call. Thus, line 43 now looks like this for me:

$Sender->Head->AddString('<script type="text/javascript">$("#Form_Body").live("mouseover", function() {$.cleditor.defaultOptions.width = 658;$("#Form_Body").cleditor();});</script>');
    I only overrode the width. I couldn't figure out how to put '100%' there and get it to work so I just hard-coded a width that works for my site. I ignored the height. It seems to be okay as-is.

Other than the mouseover solution being a little clunky, it's serviceable now for my needs.
  • @Lykaon: The author of CLEditor took a look at a demo forum I put up for him, he thinks the various bugs are due to the additional processing that Vanilla2 does on textareas.

I'm sure there are solutions if someone knows how to stop certain jQuery calls being made by Vanilla and allowing CLEditor to handle them

Check out the thread here: (his observations about Vanilla2 script handling are at Sep 3 8:17pm onwards)
    http://groups.google.com/group/cleditor/browse_thread/thread/229c0f2187426fa0
  • rakrak
    edited September 2010
    @Lykaon: For your IE8 fix did you try adding the height like this?:
    $Sender->Head->AddString('<script type="text/javascript">$("#Form_Body").live("mouseover", function() {$.cleditor.defaultOptions.width = 658; $("#Form_Body").cleditor({height:"100%"});});</script>');