HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

What about threaded comment?

edited March 2010 in Feedback
Hello again! I've been digging in the github version 2 code and noticed that you have something
in plugins / VanillaCommentReplies which looks like a module to build threaded comments page.
Is this still in development or can this be used already?
Also, does this module support unlimited nesting levels or only supports replies to comment (sort of like of facebook where you can reply to a comment but cannot reply to a reply)?
Tagged:

Comments

• I don't know about "Replies", but I did write a "ReplyTo" threaded comment extension. I have not packaged it up, but the source is here:

http://sme.consil.co.uk/svnpublic/projects/vanilla/extensions/ReplyTo/

It has been running nicely for six months now, though in a closed group so I can't show you it running. Nested levels are unlimited, though you can use CSS to determine how each level is rendered, including its indenting and colours etc.

-- Jason
  • @judgej, just to clarify, is that plugin for Vanilla 1?
  • bump! V1 or V 2 please?
  • lucluc ✭✭
    In readme.txt: This is for Vanilla 1.1.x
  • judgejjudgej
    edited September 2010
    I am moving to Vanilla 2.0, so will be likely to be porting my nested comments plugin to 2.0. I'll report back here if I have anything to share.

I still think the ability to handle nested comments at the core level is a big missing feature of Vanilla that excludes it from a wide market. It does not matter how much people dislike specific implementations of "threaded views" in other forums, it is just the ability to link a comment to its parent that is key, and is very important for certain types of forum.

-- Jason
  • RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    pointless... let's move forwards, not backwrds
  • RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    if you want threaded comments use Wordpress (burn)
  • @judgej; I agree that nested comments are a feature most people used to forums want, and those who aren't immediately see as making sense when reading through more complex threads.

I haven't really looked at the Activity stream yet, but it is possible to have ongoing 'wire' conversations via this like Buddypress, etc? Often that, plus 'friending' or 'following' is even better than a discussion post and comments (or at least has other uses and is liked by millions).