Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla Anti-Spam Plugin Feedback

dkobiadkobia New
edited August 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Plugin uses Akismet and StopForumSpam.com to flag spam discussions or comments.

Again, another first version, so any feedback appreciated.
Tagged:

Comments

• Oooh, very nice.

Vanillaforums.org could use this addon ;)
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    This is dope!
  • @dkobia, this is a nice plugin. I understand this is the first version, so here's the only criticism I have:

If you have 'Delete Spam Automatically' checked, the items in the AntiSpamLog table are orphaned once the discussions or comments are deleted. In my perfect world, you could do the following things:

1) Delete the discussion directly from the anti-spam tab (which, in turn, would delete the item from the AntiSpamLog table).

2) If 'Delete Spam Automatically' is checked, a log should be kept of what was deleted. If the post was legit, it could be restored.

Nonetheless, this plugin is a lifesaver. The discussions for Vanilla2 states that they are working on anti-spam features to add to the lineup, so maybe this plugin could be absorbed into the project.
  • Just installed Vanilla 2.0.10 and when I enable this plug-in and go to "settings", I get a blank page.
  • MikhaelMikhael New
    edited October 2010
    May I add that I'm looking forward to some decent anti-spam features which don't use other sites like Akismet, etc. Drupal has some great stuff in this regard (but I like Vanilla - I know, I know...) The issue for myself and other web users I know is that many use 'mobile broadband' dongles which can vary greatly in access speed. If my sites connect to Gravatar, Akismet, etc., the page load times can suffer greatly as it depends upon the other service's access speeds as well. Nasty, and people often just close the page.
  • I continue to get a blank page with Vanilla 2.0.11. Is anyone else experiencing this?
  • I also got a blank page. I currently have this plugins enabled:

Anonymize URLs
    CLEditor jQuery WYSIWYG
    DiscussionExcerpt2
    EMailDiscussion
    EMailSubscribe
    Emotify :)
    Facebook
    Flagging
    Force Guest Sign In
    In This Discussion
    Mark All Viewed
    MaxImageSize
    Minify
    Quotes
    RecentActivity
    ShowDiscussionAuthor
    Tagging
    Vanilla Anti Spam
    Voting
  • Just installed Vanilla 2.0.10 and when I enable this plug-in and go to "settings", I get a blank page.
    Exactly what happens for me too. Any word on a fix?
  • @Rossifer
    Open up vanillaantispam/default.php file in the text editor of your choice.
    Replace all:
    (&$Sender)
    with:
    ($Sender)
    It works for me.

BTW, I haven't used it at all. Just to see if settings page shows properly.
  • AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
    is this plugin good?
  • I would like to be able to add username or user ID, so it was not considered a spammer.
  • @Rossifer
    Open up vanillaantispam/default.php file in the text editor of your choice.
    Replace all:
    (&$Sender)
    with:
    ($Sender)
    It works for me.

BTW, I haven't used it at all. Just to see if settings page shows properly.
    Worked for me too
  • I've been successfully using this plugin on my forum for a few months now, but I ran into my first issue today. The stopforumspam.com website is currently offline, and this plugin doesn't appear to have any means of timing out when it cannot connect to check an IP address. This causes new posts and edits to not properly refresh once submitted, despite still being added to the database, creating user confusion.

If any of you are having trouble with you forum today, this is the culprit.
  • Just installed this plugin. My authentication method is set to approved. I tested the registration and nothing changed (e.g. I see no captcha).