Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

GNU license, what does it cover? code and design?

edited September 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I have a website, and want to use vanilla for forums etc.

Does the GNU license cover both the code and web design?

The design I'm seeing right now, is that what ships with the downloadable version? (this cool orang'ish theme)
Tagged:

Comments

• No this design is not the default theme.
  • oh so its still the blue theme?
  • http://vanillaforums.org/addon/585/660w

This is closest to the default theme. The blue is available as a download
  • So is the theme GNU also?
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Yes.

This orange theme, however, is not, and is not available.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• So even though vanilla is GNU, and the theme is GNU, and the orange theme is a modified version of the original, it doesn't have to be re-distributed?
    Vanilla is GPL, and the original theme is bundled with it and is thus also GPL.

This orange theme is a new set of files, external to the core, and works without modification to the core. Therefore it does not automatically fall under the GPL.

• That is basically what I wanted to know. So if I modify the source code/design, as long as I don't distribute the software, I don't have to release it to the public?
  • GNU makes it sound like you have to release what you modify...
    GNU makes it sound like you have to release what you modify...
    You do. But the orange theme doesn't modify. It hooks into existing events in the core and adds new content.

If you modify a file that has the GPL at the top, you need to make that modified version available in source format and ideally push back to the main repo.

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Also remember that the bottom line is we want people to use and develop with our software. We are not in the business of chasing after people who don't follow the GPL to the letter.
  • Hmm...well its a derivate work...I was curious so I thought I'd ask but this does seem a bit strange.

Have you heard of the wordpress theme thesis debate? http://www.metafilter.com/93802/WordPress-Thesis-and-the-GPL

• As Mark is the license holder, if you have any doubts about what you can do with the code you write then you can always contact him for clarification. Unless you start selling Vanilla as your own i doubt you will have a problem.
    We are indeed aware of the Thesis / WP debate and we're anxious to avoid a repeat performance. Ideally if people stay true to the spirit of vanilla and are active reciprocal contributors, we'll continue to support them and there wont be any problems.

As Mark said, the motivation is that we want people to use Vanilla and develop with Garden. If the community (you guys) gives back some of what it takes, everyone benefits and the whole thing snowballs. Its not greedy fanaticism on our part, but a desire to see the most people benefit as much as possible from our shared work.

• Cool, like I said I was just curious + I really like this theme and was hoping to get it without having to go to court j/k!