Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Downloaded, got to the Registration page...now what

edited September 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hey All...
OK, newbie here for Vanilla, want to take it for a test run, thinking that this could be a great solution for some of mysites, but some of this stuff is foreign to me.

I was able to download, install on my server, navigate to my main page, and it asks me for:
Database Host, Name, Username, Password
Then Application, Admin information.

I tried to set this up, but got some error messages...Do I need to do anything in my back admin area? I think one of the errors was a mySQL error.

Any help or direction would be appreciated
Tagged:

Comments

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    If you want support in the community you'll need to be much more specific about the errors you're receiving, and what you entered to cause those errors. I would also advise against directly linking to your site like you've done, since malicious users could hijack your site right now.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Thank you, I appreciate the advice (I removed the link).

OK, so I tried to recreate the issue and here is the error message I received:

SQLSTATE[HY000] [2005] Unknown MySQL server host 'site5'

I entered in site5 under "Database Host"

But, I didn't set anything up in my backoffice...I assume I'm supposed to set up some sort of database?

thank you...
    david
  • ithcyithcy New
    edited September 2010
    Yes, you need to set up a database, and 'database host' is meant to be the hostname of the server where you put the database.
  • awesome ... thank you! I set that up and I think I'm good for now. I got to the Vanilla Dashboard page...is that it? Now what :)

Push me in a direction and I will take it from there.
  • That was fast! if you're at the dashboard page, you're good to go. Add some users, or invite some to apply, start some discussions... you know, forum stuff :)
  • Awesome! Thank you....