Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Sub-Categories?

edited September 2010 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
This has been bothering me - how can I get sub-categories/sub-forums on Vanilla? I believe there used to be a plugin for Vanilla 2, and I know there's one for Vanilla 1. Could someone write a plugin to do this please - or tell me how to achieve this? (i.e. the way phpBB has sub-forums on the first page, and you have to click on one of them to make a post.)

Comments

• First, you need to create a parent category, by checking the box "This is a parent category" (i assume you know how to create a category). Then, you create multiple categories which will become, by default, children of the category defined before. Then, you can shuffle them around at your own will.
  • You can only have one level of subcatagories though.
  • edited September 2010
    I've already done that ;). I was looking for a way to remove the main feed on the home page of my vanilla site, and replace it with large menu of all the categories, sort of like phpbb
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    @matt531320 Go to your dashboard. Click on "Routes" at the bottom left. You should have 4 Default routes already, one of which is called DefaultController. It should currently be set to "discussions". If you change it to "categories", does that do what you want?

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• @Tim a bit off-topic, are multiple levels of subcategories ever going to make it in Vanilla, or would a plugin be more appropriate?

/cd
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    There aren't any plans to implement multi tiered categories at this time. Your best bet would likely be to implement it in a plugin.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• The category menu is off to the right though - it only creates a blank space where the feed used to be. Is there a way to center the category menu?
  • @matt531320
    as @tim said
    @matt531320 Go to your dashboard. Click on "Routes" at the bottom left. You should have 4 Default routes already, one of which is called DefaultController. It should currently be set to "discussions". If you change it to "categories", does that do what you want?
    this will do as you want.
  • There is no option to make a category a parent category when creating or editing a category. Using version 2.0.17.3.
  • Bump.

Also no option to make a category a parent category for me.