Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

I NEED to have feature X...Vote for what is really needed

AdrianAdrian Wandering SpiritMontreal MVP
edited October 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
The hard thing with the forum sometimes is the ideas are all over the place. Also with a lack of a poll plugin its hard to know what the plugin priorities should be. I have created the below poll at Google for people to submit ideas, and for people to vote on them. I hope we can all work together to start tackling the community's wish list. The better the product the more users, the more users, the more features. I hope those with the skills will join me in tackling this list in creating the plugins people crave :)

http://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=30d27
Tagged:

Comments

• AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    edited October 2010
    Thank you to everyone for voting and making your suggestions. Please continue to do so that the community can really narrow in on plugins needed. The eventual goal I envision is to work together to actually make them a reality. In that spirit I have created a repository http://code.google.com/p/vanillaplugins/ to start tackling the list. I will start posting the alpha/beta plugins based on this list. I welcome others to join in as well---send me a PM if you wish to join. I hope to create this group so people can submit their not ready for prime-time addons or test code so we can get them ready for release on the site. Any other feedback is welcome :)
    So after a couple of days,here are the results of the Plugin Wishlist voting:

1- Automatic Uprades
    2- Mobile theme
    3- Image Attacment upload with Thumbnails
    4- Poll Plugin
    5- Better Custom Pages

Keep on voting, so we can get an accurate and concise list of add-on priorities. It will really help the community.

If you are interested (and have the skills) to work on the add-ons wishlist send me a PM to join our little dev group :)
  • MikhaelMikhael New
    edited October 2010
    All good @adriansonline. I suggested to @Tim a while back that a minimal installer would be good, as I'm sure many must be tired of having to unpack and upload the whole thing every time there's an update. As Vanilla 2 is updating so often, just the changed files would be far better.

As for better custom pages, I think a) they should be in folder in the root rather than the plugin, and b) Vanilla should include a very simple way for users to add a custom 'front page', with or without header, sidebar, etc. Developers seem to forget sometimes that many people who self-install don't have the experience to do much more, or the time, desire, etc. One client of mine who went his own way won't touch Vanilla because it needs so much work doing behind the scenes (note @Mark).
    edited October 2010
    @Mikhael I agree 100%. Upgrade is "too complex" for novice user. I think that's why the autoupgrade is the most popular in the votes. From what I understand it is under works.