Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Why should I use this?

edited October 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hey Guys. This looks like pretty great FREE forum software. I have gone and set it up, added some users, invited some users and played around with it in a Beta stage. The reality is that I am seeing more bugs than benefits. For example: when log in to my admin panel sometimes it logs me in as the person sitting a couple chairs down from me. I am hesitant to invite the public to start using this as I am unsure about its stability. Overall I have had more bugs than anything else. The site is in beta at www.spreadadeal.co.nz/community and I am running the latest version as of 10/18/10. Will it always be so buggy or can I invite the public to use this and be confident that it wont be a disaster?
Tagged:

Comments

• For example: when log in to my admin panel sometimes it logs me in as the person sitting a couple chairs down from me.
    Can you please give some steps to replicate this bug?

/cd
  • I log in as admin. My partener at the other desk logs in as a user. I go through some basic things in admin like viewing profiles, checking to see who new users are. I go to the All Discussions dashboard and sign out. Immediately m partners user name pops up where my name was (next to Log Out). I sigh back into my account from the front All Discussions page and at the top (next to Log Out) it has signed me in as my partner. So I click any link and on the next page it has the account as mine.
  • I'm sorry, but I can't reproduce this (anywhere).

Some questions first: Can you reproduce this regularly?

Can you try reproducing this in two sessions of Incognito mode (to be sure there's nothing in the cookies that affects this)?

If the above works and you can't reproduce this weird behavior, can you try clearing your cache and cookies and try again in normal mode?

/cd
  • Can you please confirm that your server satisfies all of the requirements? It really does make a difference.
  • In answer to your question "Why should I use this?" You shouldn't, because you don't have to. I've been through the forums here a lot and your problem sounds very rare. I now have Vanilla up and running on over 10 websites and it really is superior to other "forums." I don't even think it should be called a "forum" as it does a lot more, more like a community/low key network. You should think about testing it with more than four people, especially other people who don't share the same network as you. If you want help testing it then let me know, be glad to help.
  • Can you please confirm that your server satisfies all of the requirements? It really does make a difference.
    Hi Dan Thanks for the advice. Yes I checked with our server and it is all up to scratch. Since no one else can replicate this issue I think I might drop in and make it public. I have a fear of super buggy 'free' platforms whether it be webstore or web forum hence the questions about. I think to help the developers I could post a video documenting what is happening if they think it would help.
    Anyway, keen to get it running if everyone here is as helpful as the guys in this thread.
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    I wonder if you are on a network that is proxying out cached versions of pages. We do specify not to cache pages, but sometimes network admins don't obey this because they think it's still 1994.
  • I wonder if you are on a network that is proxying out cached versions of pages. We do specify not to cache pages, but sometimes network admins don't obey this because they think it's still 1994.
    Hopefully the community support here is as good as the backhanded comments...