Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How about Requirements Check/Warnings upon Install?

dan39dan39 New
edited October 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I just spent a good deal of time tracking down an error that was due to my own server misconfiguration. There was nothing wrong with Vanilla or its plugins. It was simply that my server wasn't properly configured with the Official Requirements for Vanilla — something I just overlooked.

I think it would solve a lot of future issues (and time wasted answering those issues), for everyone, if Vanilla actually popped a warning upon install if your server didn't fulfill the official requirements. And I bet I'm not the first to have a misconfigured server.

There should be a way to check for the proper Apache Modules and PHP settings before people put Vanilla on their server. I've seen this done with other PHP applications/scripts (SimplePie checked requirements pretty well, if I remember correctly). What do you think?

Comments

• SimplePie includes a simple "SimplePie Compatibility Test" script in their download package that you can use to test your server setup

http://simplepie.org/wiki/setup/requirements

Would save many people a lot of time and confusion if Vanilla had the same thing.
  • I agree with dan39.
    joomla has it too in pre-installation checking...
    having server pre-check procedure, would be great for vanilla.
  • concrete5 has a really beautiful system checker right on the install page.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    We kind of have our hands full right now but this is a good idea. Maybe someone in the community could assist with this simple task.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]