Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Please Explain RewriteUrls

edited September 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Can someone please explain (or point me to the explanation) how RewriteUrls is supposed to work. Whenever I enable it, it just breaks all the links. What am I missing? Do certain features not work with this disabled?
Tagged:

Comments

• To make RewriteUrls actually work you need to setup you webserver to rewrite pretty urls (such as you see in the address bar above) to index.php.
    For Apache there is already .htaccess file coming with Vanilla - you just need to be sure that you hosting allows RewriteEngine and .htaccess files.
    For Lighttpd see sticky post.
  • I am using Godaddy for hosting and it seems to be a pain.
  • hosting with godaddy also and cant get my .htaccess to work right :(
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    I am using Godaddy for hosting
    hosting with godaddy
    Found your problem :p

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• @Tim any idea on a solution? Or a reason?
  • would like to know also, .htaccess files on wordpress installs for URL rewrites work without issue so i dont think its the hosting service, though i could be wrong.
  • Anyone have any ideas?
  • edited November 2010
    Anyone have any ideas?
    I have one. After editing the config.php line to read TRUE ie:

$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = TRUE;

I had to edit apache's httpd.conf to add the following

Options FollowSymLinks AllowOverride All

After a quick restart of apache sudo apachectl restart it worked like a charm.

the first line should be the path to where your forum software was copied/uploaded. It probably also helps to edit the .htaccess in the directory of where your placed the forum. Mine is in /opt/local/apache2/htdocs/forum/.htaccess and I never moved it to the root dir, so I can't comment on where it's really supposed to go.

Edit: I noticed you were using godaddy… eh, I guess this doesn't apply. Sorry.