Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Incredibly frustrating permissions issue

edited December 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I've tried every which way to figure out what is causing this problem, and I don't even know what to do anymore. Here's what it boils down to: every time one of my imported users logs in, their permissions are set as if they had every permission the super-user account does.

Background: We'd been using an SMF forum, but SMF is incredibly wonky, so I decided to switch to Vanilla (2.0.16). I used the exporter here, imported, and everything seemed to work okay. However, one of my users contacted me this morning to let me know that they could see the dashboard, change anything in the settings, etc. I figured I had accidentally set this person to the wrong role, so I went about checking it. No - their role was set correctly as a normal member role. This is the default role for new members, in fact.

I checked in MySQL, and sure enough, in GND_User.Permissions, this person had every permission turned on. I decided to see if I could reproduce it, and created a new user... no matter what role I set this new user to, his permissions are set appropriately. It appears to be a problem that ONLY occurs for imported users.

Thinking that somehow the roles had been bugged during import or permissions setup, I created new roles that duplicated the functionality of the old roles and switched everyone to these new roles. This still didn't help - the imported users gain superuser permissions upon login, newly-created users do not.

I'm at my wit's end here. Can anyone help?

Comments