Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Simple:Press to Vanilla converter?

edited January 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I've been running Simple:Press forums on my WordPress setup and I've gotten to the point where I (and my users) find it pretty unwieldy. I need to move on to something better.

I just discovered Vanilla and it looks to be fast and simple. This is something I can get behind. The clutter and interface in Simple:Press just doesn't work.

Since Vanilla has WP integration, and a lot of people are in my position (i.e. looking for a better forum solution for WP) has anyone given any though to an S:P to Vanilla converter?

I saw that you already support vbulletin and phpBB, but I can't even get an converter from S:P to either one of those either. I've already done one manual forum transfer (it wasn't pretty). Having to do another one doesn't sound like a good time.

Comments

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited January 2011
    @leafboxtea - Yes! It is in our importer/exporter application now. Check out our documentation (and download the porter) here: http://vanillaforums.com/blog/help/importing-data/
  • edited January 2011
    How do you import from SPF 4.x? The convertor seems to only work with SPF 1.x.
  • @davidX I used the importer with S:P 4.something, I had no problems and it went swimmingly smooth.
  • For some reason I'm getting "The import file is not in the correct format." even though the exporter worked without any errors.
  • The gzip wasn't working, decompressed and uploaded. Worked like a charm!
  • Hi, I'm looking at the possibility to move from Simple:Press to Vanilla. currently I have WordPress 3.3.1 and Simple:Press 5.00 beta.

I have some questions and I would be grateful if someone would take the time to respond:

1. Which folder would I place the importer/exporter file? There's only about 30 posts at the moment, so it won't be a big file.

2. Will all the Simple:Press formatting settings and images be retained in the Vanilla posts?

3. For those who use Vanilla integrated into a WordPress page, can you confirm that it works seamlessly?

4. Is Vanilla easy to configure, i.e. changing background/text colours etc?

Thanks

• Which folder would I place the importer/exporter file? There's only about 30 posts at the moment, so it won't be a big file.

It doesn't actually matter so long as you can run it. You will need to point to the database. It can also run from the command line, although some may be unfamiliar how this works.

Will all the Simple:Press formatting settings and images be retained in the Vanilla posts?

You will have to set up the correct formatter, if you are using BBCode, then use the NBBCode plugin, etc. Links remain untouched, with the standard porter.

For those who use Vanilla integrated into a WordPress page, can you confirm that it works seamlessly?

You can embed vanilla. It is simply an iframe setup. Personally not my cup of tea, but it works. Much better IMO, to let vanilla hold its own. if you create a word rpess page merely for the link. Then use routing so it arrives in the vanilla folder, hey presto. It wouldn't be hard to style similarly.

Is Vanilla easy to configure, i.e. changing background/text colours etc?

Yes I'd say so. You can theme all you like. It is not like wordpress where everything is behind the dashoabard, but it is quite flexible.

grep is your friend.