Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Beyond GoogleCalendar, has anyone implemented a full calendar/events addon?

I'm trying to integrate a calendar system within my Vanilla community (v2.0.16) but am running into some roadblocks. The GoogleCalendar addon/plugin is great but does not fit my needs, specifically due to the limitations inherent to the lack of accessibility to private calendars (among other things).

What I want to do, in brief:
1. Display a calendar for my community on a page accessible from the main nav (a la Custom Pages, or actually via that plugin if necessary).

2. The calendar and event details will be visible to all authenticated users, but only editable by users with appropriate permissions (Admins for example).

3. I'm pretty agnostic as to where and how event management takes place, whether it be from within the Admin area or on the calendar itself.

4. Ideally the calendar will produce a feed users can subscribe to so that the community's event reminders are accessible via mobile device, outlook, Google Calendar etc.

5. It would be very cool if events on the calendar had full discussion capabilities (i.e. the event listing would be like an initial post that users could comment on). I can even envision the calendar having two views: agenda and monthly. The "agenda" view would display events in chronological order in the same format as typical discussions, while the "monthly" view would display a regular calendar grid with clickable event headers.

Through my research I've found a number of very cool AJAX calendars and the best I've found is Adam Shaw's FullCalendar. I'm trying to wrap my head around integrating FullCalendar with Vanilla as I've described so that items 1-5 above can be achieved. It seems like a fairly daunting task (especially for someone with nominal programming chops), but it also seems like something that could be very valuable to Vanilla communities of all kinds!

Does anyone have any suggestions or examples?

_Andrew

Comments

• Are there plans to incorporate some kind of calendar functionality in Vanilla? I've searched but I haven't run across any. Anyway, any suggestions or interest on this front would be much appreciated! :)