Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

New members can't add comment

edited January 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
We just installed the new Vanilla forum, so its completely default.

We are testing and make a new "member" account. But when we try to add a comment with this member account we get an error : Commenting not allowed.

The user permissions for adding comments and discussions are checked.

What are we doing wrong? :)

Comments

• I'm having this issue as well. Confused.
  • Besides the user permission, you will need to check the permission for the category also.
  • I'm having this problem, too. Using a vanilla install of Vanilla, newly created users can't create discussions or comment.
  • Okay. So the problem seems to be this: In the current version the handling of categories has changed. The default category permissions just seem to be wrong, that is all. You can manually set them and it works. It'd be nice to have a settings screen were you can change the default permissions. Also the permissions should default to what is set in the roles.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Hello @dakira.
    Could you give more detail as what the default category permissions should be for the 'member' role ?
    I checked 'add comments' and my users still see the 'Commenting not allowed' message.
  • Hi @gweni. The permission for the member role should be okay, you shouldn't need to change them. I just assume there is a bug in the new categories implementation that forces you to manually set the right for every category because the settings in the roles are not used as the default.
  • Ok, understood.
    It works !
  • and one thing is missing on the discussion is utility/update after all
  • No matter what I try I get "Commenting not allowed" with new users
  • @dakira At first I thought it was intentional since not everyone want the same permission applied to each category but I can see that as a problem if some people want all access as default for each new category created.

• @chuckD I don't see a problem. When a category is set to "use default permissions" it should just use the permissions that are defined in the respective roles.
  • I'm also having this problem. I went to "Roles and Permissions" and for the Member role I clicked on "Edit." The checkboxes for "Add Comments" and "Add Discussions" were already checked. I went ahead and also checked "Edit Comments" and "Edit Discussions" but I would think that "Add Comments" would mean they could.... add comments.

But when I sign in with a test account that was setup as a Member Role, I can view the discussions but when I try to add a new discussion I get the message: "You do not have permission to start discussions in this category."

And also in the Member Role, when I an viewing a discussion I can see the message "Commenting not allowed."
  • You can set the custom permissions for each category and that seems to work, but it's a pain.
  • You can set the custom permissions for each category and that seems to work, but it's a pain.
    That's what I had to do to address the issue.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Thanks for the feedback on this. We'll be looking at how the new categories are working out in the real world and see if we can make things easier.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

That's what I had to do to address the issue.
    Had to do the exact same thing. When you've got quite a few categories this is both laborious and tiresome. Hopefully there's a fix in the making?

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    This should be fixed now. We added another release.
  • Awesome Todd, I'll give it a try.

Before I do the update, I was wondering if the update process overwrites the custom.css, registerapproval.php and termsofservice.php files? I've done some customization there and I was wondering if I have to tweak those every time I update?