Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[2.0.17.3 with subcategories] Error when trying to post: "You do not have permission to start..."

edited January 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
After upgrading to Vanilla 2.0.17.3, I removed all categories, and clicked on "Use Categories". Then I added a few categories, including multi-level ones. After that, when I try to post as a user with admin privileges, I receive this error message:

"You do not have permission to start discussions in this category"

How can I fix this?

I'm using PHP 5.3.5 and MySQL 5.1.53.

You can take a look at my Vanilla installation at http://openfarmtech.org/forum/

Thank you!

Comments

• More details:
    1) Posting to the "General" category works fine;
    2) In order to post to a category, I have to click on its name first, since once I click on the "Start a new discussion" button, there's no way to either select the category nor to see what was the selected category for the new post.
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Can you edit the role of your user and see what the default category permissions are? Thanks.
  • Indeed, after I ticked the checkbox "This category has custom permissions." and configured the permissions, I was able to post.

Thanks Todd and Dakira!
This discussion has been closed.