Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Solved]members dont have "Send xxxxx a Message" link

AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
edited February 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
hi guys,

hope you can help me trace this out, i just noticed lately that when logged in as a member and i clicked on another member's name, i dont see the "Send xxxxx a Message" link (side menu on the profile page).

do you know how can i trace and fix this one?

thanks

Comments

• Oof, that's a difficult one.
    There's 2 options
    1)
    When you do see the "Send xxxxx a Message" link, look in the HTML source, look for the CSS styling.
    Then search all your files, looking for that CSS styling.
    At some point in a template, you'll find that CSS styling and you'll know which piece of template handles the message link.
    Now you'll need to figure out the logic why it doesn't show up.

2)
    Look through all your files for "Send %s a Message", try to copy the exact text from when you do see that link. The %s is a variable that gets put in while translating.
    You will see a language definition in your source.
    Then look through your entire source for that language definition.
    At some point you'll find the PHP source that shows the language definition.
    Now you'll need to figure out the logic why it doesn't show up.

I'll help more once you've figured out part of the logic in your source :-)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
    Thanks UnderDog for giving me a starting point,

i will dig thru the code later after work. :-)

weird thing is... if im logged in as Admin and viewed a member's profile, i can see the "Send %s a Message" link, but if im logged in as member then view another member or admin profile, i dont see it at all. :-)

cheers!
  • Then maybe it's a permission issue?

• AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
    Thanks UnderDog for giving me a starting point,

i will dig thru the code later after work. :-)

weird thing is... if im logged in as Admin and viewed a member's profile, i can see the "Send %s a Message" link, but if im logged in as member then view another member or admin profile, i dont see it at all. :-)

cheers!
    Hi Underdog, problem fixed. :) i just upgraded from 2.17.3 to 2.17.8 :) i can now see the "send xxxx a message" again. thanks

• edited February 2011
    Unfortunately I find that after you press send the page simply refreshes back on itself! In the default theme it eventually redirects, but in the theme I'm using 'Public_vforg' it stays stuck on the message page. Any ideas as to why?
  • @rtpaul that's why we have the other topic:
    http://www.vanillaforums.org/discussion/14734/send-a-message-page-sticks/p1 let's close this one.

This discussion has been closed.