HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Plugin Ideas for Vanilla 2

RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
edited March 2010 in Feedback
Vanilla 2 is looking sweeeet. It has such a modern feel, and some very high tech features (while I was typing this a little tab just notified me that a draft of my post has been saved). Wow, all I can say is FINALLY the forum software I've been searching for...so excited for the final product.

My plugin idea for anyone who is thinking ahead, is one that Autoposts to Twitter anytime a new thread is created. It's simple and it's perfect both as a service to current members, and as a way to attract new ones. This would go hand in hand with future social networking opportunities that Vanilla 2 is already poised to take advantage of.

Hope others have some good ideas as well! Cheers
Tagged:

Comments

• RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    A mobile plugin would definitely be an asset. Something that makes the forum viewable and usable on an iPhone and/or Android device.
  • I like the iPhone-idea!
    What I really miss is a plugin for simple votings and for viewing pictures (show little thumbnails with a link to the big picture).
  • Not seen it on an iPhone (I don't have one) but it looks/works fine through Opera Mobile 10 beta and Mini 5 beta. I suppose it couldn't hurt to have something that was even more streamlined for mobiles though, but wouldn't it be a theme instead of a plugin?
  • how about

RSS
    Polls
    Menu system
    Statistics

• RSS exists already in the core.
    I started work on Polls but havent got too far.
    You mean like a gui in the admin for controlling the menu?

And what kind of statistics you want?
  • bobthemanbobtheman
    edited March 2010
    @garymardell
    nothing fancy for stats, just something other than the traditional "install google analytics".

yeah a gui menu system from the acp would be nice. This should be a core component along with page creation.

• I'd like to be able to add custom fields when someone starts a discussion. I can't find any forum software that allows this or has a plug in! For example, the normal forum will allow you to add a title, then type the message. But I want to have a custom field so users can also include a URL, for example.
  • StashStash
    edited March 2010
    On this forum, it would be nice to have a simple "edit" option (just like the "options" on each comment) on the Categories list (top right, beneath "Start a New Discussion" big button) that, when clicked, would show a check box next to each category row with a tick in it.

Should you then un-check a category it would hide this category from the list displayed at http://www.vanillaforums.org/discussions. This could perhaps be displayed visually by putting a line through the category row (using <del></del> in the HTML).
  • @Raize you can use http://twitterfeed.com/ to pump the rss feeds automatically generated by Vanilla to your Twitter account.
    @formloves that's actually very clever, thanks
  • Thanks @formloves

However, how can I get this to work with RSS feeds of private forums?
  • A return of Whisper functionality -- my users won't let me upgrade from 1.10 until that happens, sadly.
  • I think it would be nice to rebuild the whisper functionality as a plugin, perhaps using JSON and JS templating to insert the whispers into the page to enable vanilla to still cache things.
  • 1. links plugin/ like that of facebook, displaying images and part of the text on activity feed/
    2. discussions to be displayed on activity feed
    3. profile image to be displayed on main discussion page.
    4. QnA plugin like the functions and features of old 'voting' plugin
    edited March 2011
    automatic link shortening, or display title of post as a link instead of the raw url (user friendly like facebook)