Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Anyone good with Php?

edited October 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Vanilla is great. I'm looking for a php script, or any other script, that can help me organize a sort of electronic library, or repository of files. I have about 100 .doc articles that I'd like to post online and continue posting online for the next couple years. I have ten categories that they should be organized in, and would like a very simple, elegant design like this one. Basically I just want something to allow only myself to post a description of a file into a category and upload the .doc file through the web. Then it would be listed on the web. Can anyone help?

Comments

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited October 2005
    sounds like a blogging tool might do the trick for you... There are plenty of free ones out there, like http://wordpress.org
  • Definately some kind of Blog needed here. Wordpress could do the trick.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    jinx!
  • I'm looking forward to the day when a blog extension is written for Vanilla.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Me too! I'm getting to it...
  • the only thing that i'm worried about with a blog is the fact that i don't have a nice central database, which might make it difficult to organize. plus i'm guessing blogs will make it difficult to continually alphabitatize the articles... or can you manipulate it?
  • blogs dont use databases? what?
  • alphabitatize is alphabetize/sort in alphabetical order I suppose? If a tool can't do it automatically, add letter_a or letter_b or ... as a keyword to your .doc! Then you'll have 26 nice categories to 'alphabitatize' :-)
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Well, you can look at it one of three ways: 1. You settle for what "sorta" works - like a blog. 2. You can teach yourself to program and do it yourself. 3. You can hire someone to do it for you. It's highly unlikely that you'll come across a free application that does exactly what you want (but please feel free to prove me wrong on that one - google to your heart's content :). So, option 1 is definitely the easiest - and it gets you going very quickly. Option 2 is the hardest one if you have no experience programming at all - I'd recommend Ruby on Rails since everyone and their dog says it's easy as pie to learn. Option 3 is (obviously) the most expensive, and depending on how picky you are it could cost you a pretty penny.
  • Doing this in Ruby on Rails couldn't take more than an hour or two I'd imagine, although you'd need to be somewhat familiar with it.
  • shoot, i'm not familiar with ruby or rails... i think a blog might work, though i'm not sure if there's a plugin available to add another input- i.e. one for the description, one for the title, one for the author, etc.
  • edited October 2005
    i would be willing to pay under $50 for a script like this... any suggestions on who to hire?
  • Can you explain a bit better what exactly you are wanting? Are you just wanting a plain-vanilla script which will let you upload a .doc file and each file can be categorized and will display the title, author and a few other details?
  • Yeah, that's right: I'd like a password protected method to post .doc articles. In addition to the .doc article, I would like to add Title, Description, Author, and perhaps another detail as well as the category, of which there will be around ten. I would like this than to post on a page that organizes the files by title, author, or date posted, letting the user decide how to sort while also maintaining their category. I would also like a search function. Does that make sense?
  • edited October 2005
    It would be pretty simple to do in Ruby on Rails, the only thing is, does whatever webhost you use or will be using support Ruby on Rails? If not, its best to find someone to do it in PHP.
  • I could do it in PHP pretty quickly but whether or not i'm too lazy to actually bother is a different question - if i'm sat a little bored tonight i might have a crack. It wont be pretty though so unless you're any use at design (or someone else wants to) i might aswell not bother. Incidentally, mark, is your cotworld engine not any good for this?
  • 3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited October 2005
    Is ruby on rails really that easy? (I know zippo about it btw) Ahhh the promise of a vanilla blog extension, how wondrous.... ready in 2006?
This discussion has been closed.