HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
My Vanilla Wishlist
I'd love to see future Vanilla releases include the following:
- Better Announcement functionality. Currently, if an announcement is created in a category it will be automatically 'stuck' to the top of the All Discussions page. Instead, it would be preferable if Announcements were only stuck to the top of their specific categories. It makes it rather confusing and cluttered when categories have multiple announcements that don't apply to other categories or all discussions but are still shown under All Discussions.
A "Global Announcement" feature could be implemented (similar to what is currently in phpBB) and only those Global Announcements would be displayed under All Discussions.
- Enhanced ability to display messages to only logged in users or only logged out users or both. This is useful for placing "push" messages to logged out users/guests to entice them to register. I guess this could be based around permissions too - Members don't see a certain message while Guests do.
- Move discussion feature. Instead of having to enter the edit page and (if the LastEdited plugin is installed) have edit information displayed, there should be a feature that allows you to easily move the discussion outside of the edit page. A link to this feature could be placed before the Delete Discussion link.
- CMS System with ability to add/edit static pages as well as adjust and reorganize the main menu. Further functionality could be added to edit the footer and header width and content as well.
- Better search functionality. I understand that we are using MySQL title search and that it was chosen for performance reasons, but an advanced searching function or enhanced search variables (quotes/-/author/etc) would be great.
- Themes! To be brutally honest, none of the themes currently available for Vanilla - aside from the default theme and Swiss - are very attractive. The Vanilla development team should consider creating premium themes. This would be an excellent way for you all to show off your design skills to an even greater extent and then create a profit margin from selling those themes to Vanilla users that could go back to fund further development. Come on guys! $$$
- Better documentation. Pretty self-explanatory. Vanilla will only have so far of a future and so wide a reach if it's documentation doesn't grow alongside its popularity. I'm pretty well versed in php coding and am still a bit befuddled by some of the coding elements in Vanilla. More extensive documentation would be extremely helpful - possibly considering developing a similar Codex like Wordpress' and allow user contributions to ensure its growth.