Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla does not verify email addresses

edited June 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I have a closed forum, application only.

It's great, with the exception that there's no option to verify email addresses.

How make it so when people apply, they need to also verify the email?

Answers

• Can you tell us more about what you mean by "Verifying" email addresses? By default, Vanilla sends a confirmation e-mail to the new user's e-mail address. The user has to click a link in that e-mail to confirm they had access to it.
  • Thanks for answering. I just created a new user to test this on my forum, just to see if I was wrong about this.
    The new user gets a "welcome email" but does not have to click a link, to verify his email add., the way most other forums (and some other sites) are set up. There is a link in the email for the forum but the user does not have to click it to finalize his forum application account. As soon as someone (even a bot) enters his username (email) and password, he is a member, without ever having to verify his address. -- so there is no way of knowing if the email address they gave is even real.

This is the way it works on my forum anyway. Maybe I missed a setting somewhere.
  • Have you upgraded to 2.0.18 Beta 2? As its definitely in that release.

http://cl.ly/0c2Z2m053i0f3N0n0o3R
  • oh crap, I thought I had that version installed, but I see it is 2.0.17.10

Only installed Vanilla about 1 1/2 week ago. Not sure if I want a Beta version...
  • Not really even sure how to upgrade. Will there be conflicts with my plug-ins and stuff ?
  • There are some new additions but mostly the beta is a load more bug fixes as well. Which in all likelihood will make your forum more stable. I haven't come across any show stoppers so far. All the plugins you have will likely all work, its pretty much backwards compatible. http://vanillaforums.org/page/installation-upgrade However make sure that you don't just copy the plugins folder over the top if you have any other plugins installed. Just replace the current ones with the update ones.
  • OK Gary, I think I'll just wait til it's out of Beta. After reading some posts it sounds too complicated for me to try to upgrade right now. I only know alittle HTML, not really a geek hahahe.

But back to the original subject. What Anonymus meant was that Vanilla forums does not make a new applicant verify their email.

Have you ever created an account with a website (or most forums), and were required to check your email and click through a verification link sent by the company in order to activate it? Doing so highly reduces the number of spam accounts.

Vanilla forums only sends a welcome letter, and the new member does not have to click a link in order to verify his address. It would be great if Vanilla was set up this way. It would get rid of much spam crap accounts.
  • Its not complicated at all, its only a matter of replacing files. Just as per the instructions don't remove your on config.php file and any plugins you may have. Then go to /utility/upgrade.

No my point was that the Vanilla forum software now does include that feature. As per my screenshot above you can see the confirm email option at the bottom. However I believe its only been implemented in the last couple of releases, as far as I am aware.
  • ok, Gary you have talked me into it. I will give it a try tomorrow. But if I screw up, it'll be your fault. Sorry, JUST KIDDING.

Email verification .. I don't have that option on my forum. I have 2.0.17.10 , guess I do need a upgrade. - thanks for your help
  • Just make sure you have a backup!