Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How to change notification email behavior?

edited May 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
When someone creates a new topic, I get an email with a subject line like:
[My Domain - Forum] (User) has started a new discussion.
The body of the email repeats that (User) has started a new discussion - then the entire post is included.

For starters, I'm puzzled by the omission of the post title and would like to include it. Beyond that, I'd rather /not/ include the entire post - I'd prefer forum members to click the link, visit the forum, and read it there.

How would I go about making these changes? Can someone tell me which file(s) incorporate the details/behavior of notification emails?

Comments

• Options
    No one? Really?
  • Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    Surely possible via a plugin.
  • Options
    I suppose so, but I've made this kind of modification before (not to Vanilla, tho) and it's pretty easy to just edit the file -- if you know which file(s) to edit.
  • Options
    @DonnyBahama. . . did you figure out which file to edit?
  • Options
    /dashboard/locale/en-CA/defintions.php

Locate $Definition['EmailStoryNotification'], $Definition['EmailNotification'], etc. and edit them there. Best to create your own locale files to avoid having your changes lost upon upgrading to a new version of Vanilla.
  • Options
    Sorry for the delayed response hillary_schafer. (I didn't get the notification email on this. Yes, I did find the file (as reported above by hyphy) but its contents are cryptic. Just some %# variables that aren't annotated in the file. Not sure which one gives me the topic title.