Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Invalidipaddress error. How to fix?

edited September 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
When I try to create a new thread - an error (see screenshot). How to fix?
Screen http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15688571/error.png
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Answer ✓

I get this error too. Unless you're accessing the site via IPv4, vanilla complains about the IP address being too long, as IPv6 addresses are substantially longer than IPv4 addresses.

Answers

• Site works on hosting with IPv6
  • Answer ✓

I get this error too. Unless you're accessing the site via IPv4, vanilla complains about the IP address being too long, as IPv6 addresses are substantially longer than IPv4 addresses.

• Before you install Vanilla you need to edit the following files:

applications/conversations/settings/structure.php
    applications/dashboard/settings/structure.php
    applications/vanilla/settings/structure.php

Change all lines that look like "->Column('*IPAddress', 'varchar(15)') so that the varchar is 39 characters long instead of 15.

Conversations has 3, dashboard has 7 and structure has 4.

You will need to check any application that you install in the future for the same.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

nice fix. I wonder if this is built into vanilla 2.1?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited April 2013

@peregrine Doesn't look like this was fixed in 2.1b1.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

@Anonymoose said:
    peregrine Doesn't look like this was fixed in 2.1b1.

@Anonymoose
    Well, if it in't. If you desired, You could write a push request with the above code change by Harry Stern, if it works for you in vanilla 2.1b1

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• OK. The Henry Stern fix works in 2.1b1.

• Ok, so we need a gitHub bug # and probably a pull request with the solution. Bug # is important too.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Running test.com/index.php?p=/utility/update after changing these works to fix the issue if the files were edited after installation.