Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Cannot install vanilla on localhost

edited October 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
So i have more than 10 wordpress installations, more than 5 ipb forum installations and tons of other mysql db never had a problem with ANY application, and now i can't install vanilla...

SQLSTATE[HY000] [2005] Unknown MySQL server host '~~Invalid~~' (1)
You must specify the name of the database in which you want to set up Vanilla.
Banner Title is required.

Connection details are right, database name is correct and i don't know what "banner title" is supposed to be, maybe application title? if so, filled. I'm not doing anything wrong. Can you guys help me ?

Also i don't need any .htaccess file on localhost and i have checked the option to install without it.
Tried to view the page with both localhost/~myusername/vanilla/ and 127.0.0.1/~myusername/vanilla/ same error and same if i use as db host localhost or 127.0.0.1

On mac using xampp pdo enabled etc.. etc...
Tagged:

Answers

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited October 2011
    Start with googling the error message:
    SQLSTATE[HY000] [2005] Unknown MySQL server host '~~Invalid~~' (1)
    Then tell the DB name and the host name you used.

The error message about the Banner Title is probably a result of not getting one of the queries executed.
    Query not executed, no Banner Title, so Error Message that Banner Title is required.
    Google search results so far:
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/13255/installation-problem-vanilla2-unknown-mysql-server-host/p1
    I would google on other results besides vanillaforums.org as well

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• quote from that post

"nope. everything was perfect, except the .htaccess file
    I uploaded it to my server using windows (to see the hidden file) and it worked.
    (kind of stupid to have an option on the setup to install without the .htaccess file if it won't work)"
  • Consider how mature wordpress is, it took them years to perfect that. The architecture is unremarkable awkward even, but it is well supported by plug ins, and actively developed, it has a large team ironing out the creases.

It remains to be seen if vanilla is going to stick the the software kit as it is now, to the more automated System. There are pros and cons. Vanilla should be 'vanilla' out of the box. That the basic premise, it is already very adaptable as is, with some knowledge.

grep is your friend.