Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

{include} smarty tag?

clethrillclethrill ✭✭
edited November 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Does vanilla not support the {include} smarty tag? I have been using the rounder theme, modified. And I want to reuse some elements throughout the template. Is there a way to do it with views instead? (Don't have a clue how they work)
Tagged:

Best Answer

• x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓
    you can use {asset} or create your own smarty function/plugin.

look in library/vendors/

Personally I have come to the conclusion that smarty is a bit of waste of time though.

If you are using {include} and {php} and all sort of logic in there you aren't getting separation of concerns, which is the whole point of a template engine.

grep is your friend.

Answers

• Please? Bump, are we allowed to bump?
  • x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓
    you can use {asset} or create your own smarty function/plugin.

look in library/vendors/

Personally I have come to the conclusion that smarty is a bit of waste of time though.

If you are using {include} and {php} and all sort of logic in there you aren't getting separation of concerns, which is the whole point of a template engine.

grep is your friend.

• Thank you,
    I attempted to convert it to php but I was a bit sloppy and had errors everywhere and gave up in the end. I will look into the asset tag.
  • x00 said:

**> Personally I have come to the conclusion that smarty is a bit of waste of time though. **

It's wasting all of my time today. Do you know of a list containing PHP equivalents of the Vanilla Smarty tags. The documentation would be a logical place to look. Alas...

• It's wasting all of my time today. Do you know of a list containing PHP equivalents of the Vanilla Smarty tags. The documentation would be a logical place to look. Alas...

I know a fair bit, but it is fair to say that the smarty implementation abstract a lot of to the logic in smarty functions (but in a more limited, less pliable way). So really the equivalent you are looking for aren't really 1:1

Best thing to do is to interpret the php version of the default template. and also you can look at how the smarty functions where constructed in /library/vendors/SmartyPlugins.

I can't really say more that that, because it can be be time consuming explaining everything, when people doing really care how it works. Really you a re better off learning that because that little bit of knowledge, will save you time in the long run.

grep is your friend.