Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Show your Vanilla!

Matthew2DMatthew2D New
edited December 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello! Why don't one of you show us your Vanilla forum? =D

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP

Show us yours first
    :)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited December 2011

Thats 3 likes dished out

• @sahotataran THANKS and yours looks great!

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

@sahotataran, what did you use to make the featured discussions look different?

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭

Nillablog

• Nice.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2014

I necroposted this link. Why. maybe someone wants to post their forum as well, but ....

I was wondering what is the average life span of a self-hosted forum?

do many people burn out and throw in the towel on their forum, or move to a new address.

none of the above seem to be in existence as forums.

what do you think is the primary contributor to forum death besides lack of posts or good content, or forum owner not wanting to devote any more time to forum.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• My forum exists since 2006/2007, but it was dead for periods of time, mostly because it was hosted on freehosters that clear the content of inactive accounts after some time.

I kind of revived it last year and I am certain that one of the reasons it worked was the switch from phpBB to vanilla.
    Another thing is to have additional content, like a wiki, to attract more new users from search engines and to have content that outlasts your usual forum discussion.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited September 2014

We're nearly four years in to a self-hosted forum.

We didn't really have to do any recruiting/publicity as there was already a mature membership on an existing BBC Sports forum which the Beeb decided to close. (Mature in length of membership, not necessarily behaviour.)

There have been quite a few times when I've thought 'blow this' (or stronger words to that effect) all sparked by user behaviour.

We have a core of daily users who keep the forum content moving, and a high number of 'grazers' who often read without posting.

I guess it helps that the forum is abut a football club (I won't say which one ;) ), so people have strong views, and there is a steady flow of changing situations that can generate threads and posts.

When I set up the forum (and first met Vanilla) I told users I wasn't doing it to be thanked.

This was just as well...

I thought that the forum would probably have run out of steam before now, but we have more or less the same amount of involvement as ever.

I think part of the reason for that is that we kept the BBC moderation standards, and enforced them rigorously, so we don't get users flaming each other and carrying on feuds. We've had a few users do a 'Nelly the Elephant', but not too many.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited September 2014

I'm running my most active forum since 2010 and by today it has 120.000 Unique Visitors a month (it's in a small country) and has some hundred active users (there is also a news-blog and a wiki part on the site). About 10 people register every day (and some stay). It's self hosted and has a managed server behind to work the load.

I've an older forum dating back to 2006 that went sleepy the last two years. I migrated it several times. phpBB 2 > Vanilla 1 > phpBB 3 > Vanilla 2.1. :) Now it's gaining visits again and i try to see where Yaga and some other fresh plugins could lead my community to.

I still kept up the work, because i saw a rise in users and traffic and i want to sell the project one day. It's a long way, i needed to learn a lot, from CSS to Sales and still, time investment is quite high. Same as @whu606, we do have a good moderation team, that helps keep our forum fair and respectfull. In my country we are already an institution and made our niche i can say. If i'd turn it off, a lot of users may feel homeless for a quite a while. :)

There used to be a Vanilla Showcase website out in the web. I tried to reach the owner but he/she never responded. I also forgot the URL of it, anyone remembers (black site, where you could ad your site with a screenshot in a form)?

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla